News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Thomas & Friends in 2018

Started by TerencetheTractor525, March 26, 2017, 02:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucksco

Thomas and Friends models are produced to the manufacturing specifications of the Licensor. Even if Bachmann wanted to change things on the models they could not due to the legal ramifications that come with a licensed product. That being said, if you would like to change your own models with some hobby paint that is totally acceptable.

TrainFan97

I understand. Thanks for making it clear.

There's nothing wrong with discussing ideas, as long as you're fully aware that the licensor has the final say on what's made, and how it's made.

The only tweaks that don't require permission have to be done by the consumer, to their own individual models that they've purchased. This is known as modelling.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

ThomasFan1993

Quote from: Yardmaster on April 01, 2017, 03:41:29 PM
Thomas and Friends models are produced to the manufacturing specifications of the Licensor. Even if Bachmann wanted to change things on the models they could not due to the legal ramifications that come with a licensed product. That being said, if you would like to change your own models with some hobby paint that is totally acceptable.

Would this also affect the rumoured 'Re-designed James' that's been mentioned since 2014?

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: ThomasFan1993 on April 02, 2017, 03:55:41 AM

Would this also affect the rumoured 'Re-designed James' that's been mentioned since 2014?
Why do people claim it's a rumor when it was flat-out mentioned by an admin on the forum?

Captain Crutch

Not only that but they did say that the only reason we don't have it yet was they sent in the changes to the factory but by the time it arrived the factory had alread produced and shipped 2 years worth of James. So since that was back in 2015 I'd say it'd either be this year or next year. Unless James sales really declined over the past year or two.
Formerly HLC Railroad, but now I'm back and better than ever!

JD417

I still find it quite hilarious that they knew how many James' they needed to keep a solid stock for 2 years, but yet Skarloey hasn't been in stock for more than a day since he was released

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: JD417 on April 03, 2017, 04:23:03 PM
I still find it quite hilarious that they knew how many James' they needed to keep a solid stock for 2 years, but yet Skarloey hasn't been in stock for more than a day since he was released
James has been in the market for a long time, so sales were easy to project for forthcoming years.

Skarloey on the other hand was a new avenue and they had no idea how the market would react to him. Bachmann making him faithful to Talyllyn paid off int he long run, as he became a home-run hit with the OO9 market.

BassTbone

Guys, here is the thing...  maybe the "James Repaint" was planned, but HiT did not approve it.  The Yardmaster even said to not expect it.   Maybe there was an intention on fixing the said issues, but ultimately, the product is selling well enough that it is regularly restocked, and HiT doesn't see the need to spend money on fixing it.  Its a simple fix for you to do really, just get some painters masking tape, some gloss black, and fix it yourselves.  As long as you're careful and do not blob the paint on, it will be fine. 

JD417

Quote from: Sparks on April 03, 2017, 05:11:16 PM
Quote from: JD417 on April 03, 2017, 04:23:03 PM
James has been in the market for a long time, so sales were easy to project for forthcoming years.

Skarloey on the other hand was a new avenue and they had no idea how the market would react to him. Bachmann making him faithful to Talyllyn paid off int he long run, as he became a home-run hit with the OO9 market.

Ah, makes sense. But they should've realized that it would've been a great seller as He was requested for many years.
Do you think that the reason Rheneas is taking even longer is so they can get up a solid stock this time round?

Griffin (TheBlueSnowplow)

The talks about redesigned James have got me wondering what other models have issues, paint or otherwise, and if you all here have done anything to fix these issues? I, for one, have completed started over on Thomas, Percy, and James with open cabs, new faces, CGI details, etc. Wondering if there would be any interest in the creation of a thread dedicated to mods made to your Bachmann engines-pictures, descriptions, etc? I have a feeling the Bachmann mods are both aware and accepting of the changes many people make to their models. I direct you to this quote:
That being said, if you would like to change your own models with some hobby paint that is totally acceptable.
Thoughts? Yay or nay?
Check out my Youtube channel below. 
www.youtube.com/thebluesnowplow

Captain Crutch

Quote from: Griffin on April 17, 2017, 09:54:04 PM
Wondering if there would be any interest in the creation of a thread dedicated to mods made to your Bachmann engines-pictures, descriptions, etc?
Thoughts? Yay or nay?
[/quote]

I'd be up for that, I personally am considering getting some of the shapeways faces and maybe painting the coupling hooks black on the ones that aren't and maybe even adding scale chains to atleast the fronts and removing the couplers. I may not post photos but atleast it would be a talking point and maybe people can even get ideas or clarification on things they may want to do to their models.

Captain Crutch

Well it seems like the tank cars with faces are back in Journey Beyond Sodor so it's more likely that the next troublesome truck will be a tanker.

TerencetheTractor525

Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

TrainFan97

I still wish Mattel would eventually give Bachmann the rights to produce Thomas products in N or O Scale.

The Large Scale range has been around for more than half a decade, and the HOn30 range just started in 2015, so it's still really new.

It could be several years before they could get the rights to produce standard gauge in another scale. If that were to eventually happen, what would you rather have? N scale? O scale? Someone should make a poll about this.

N scale would be more affordable than O scale. Larger engines would have more of a chance in N scale. Lionel's O Scale Thomas line has been really dormant.

As for the HOn30 range, we know that the fact that Bachmann Skarloey resembling Talyllyn is what made him such a huge hit. They did the same for Rheneas with Dolgoch. We don't know how much Bachmann Rusty would resemble Midlander, so that will remain a mystery until he's eventually shown. When they eventually get to Sir Handel and Peter Sam, there's a good chance they'll resemble Sir Hadyn and Edward Thomas respectively. As for Duncan, even though his CGI render isn't the best, there's still a good chance he can resemble his basis, Douglas.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

Captain Crutch

I want On30 scale Skarloey railway locos. I would buy those in a heartbeat as just recently I got a small mining section that would work amazing with it.