News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Thomas & Friends in 2018

Started by TerencetheTractor525, March 26, 2017, 02:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Metal

My bet is that Peter Sam is the next NG engine.

As with Duke, I could honestly see Luke, or Victor happening before Duke simply because they have a much wider appeal. In other words, what Luke is to the NG engines seems to be like what Emily is to the Steam Team.

Also may I dare to say that the CGI renders for the NG Engines look much better than both their S4 small scale models, as well as their S5-12 Large Scale counterparts.(except for Duncan's CGI render)

TrainCollector

Oh 100% I mean don't get me wrong it would be nice to own the original season 4 small scale models but the Bachmann models without a doubt will look great

Chaz

The more I'm thinking about it, the more I really am leaning towards Peter Sam being the most likely candidate for being the next narrow gauge engine.  I know I already did an in-depth post on narrow gauge already as well as the spiteful brake van in HO but there is actually a lot worth talking about in regards to Peter Sam.  If anyone would be interested I would be more than happy to discuss my thoughts on him being made in the future.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

TrainCollector

Chaz I agree with you. Let's talk about Peter Sam. I'd love to see him be made in Narrow gauge along with Sir Handle

DucktheGWREngine08

Quote from: Metal on August 21, 2017, 07:11:32 PM
My bet is that Peter Sam is the next NG engine.

As with Duke, I could honestly see Luke, or Victor happening before Duke simply because they have a much wider appeal. In other words, what Luke is to the NG engines seems to be like what Emily is to the Steam Team.

Also may I dare to say that the CGI renders for the NG Engines look much better than both their S4 small scale models, as well as their S5-12 Large Scale counterparts.(except for Duncan's CGI render)

As I have said before, Duke is not going to appear as he is NOT in the CGI seasons so no model of him.

mully

I would love to see peter Sam made too as well as Duncan I am a hoping both are in the plans to be made. Not so brothered about sir Handel would rather those two first. Not that I wont buy sir Handel mind. However this is one thing that has accured to me. Could victor be next? He is pretty popular. A lot of younger fans identify with him more then peter sam, Duncan or sir Handel so he would sell quite well especially if they released Kevin too. Mean again I'd rather see Duncan or peter sam but its possible.

Metal

As I speculate, it won't be surprising if Sir Handel is the very last of the 6 original NG Engines. After they're done, I would expect them to move onto the CGI NG Engines like Luke or Victor. Considering their prominence in both show and marketing, we might see them enter the range before they get to Duke.

Know that Emily and Spencer were brought into the range, before we got Donald/Douglas, or even Duck.

NinjaCraft

Quote from: Metal on August 23, 2017, 05:20:50 PM
As I speculate, it won't be surprising if Sir Handel is the very last of the 6 original NG Engines. After they're done, I would expect them to move onto the CGI NG Engines like Luke or Victor. Considering their prominence in both show and marketing, we might see them enter the range before they get to Duke.

Know that Emily and Spencer were brought into the range, before we got Donald/Douglas, or even Duck.
Emily and Spencer were also introduced before Edward. BEFORE EDWARD!!!!!!! THATS BOGUS!!!!!!!!!
~A loving Thomas fan.

thomasj219

I have a feeling by the time they get to maybe only having one or two classic narrow gauge engines left, Duke will be back in the show. So he may have a shot by then. I hope so, he's my favorite narrow gauge engine.
All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.

Plow_Bender

To be honest, it seems likely that narrow gauge is going to have a good run for the first few years, and then there's going to come the downfall of the range.  We've seen it with the HO and Large Scale (very much for large scale) ranges already, and HOn30 only has a matter of time.  I'd personally be happy if we at least get the 6 main engines before this happens.  Considering Bachmann isn't going in numerical order now kind of has me a little worried.

A friend of mine and I actually discussed this earlier on after Rheneas was announced.  We were throwing around the theory that Bachmann will probably release engines 1-5, then instead of Duncan we'd probably get a character that no one wants.  I personally wouldn't be disappointed if Duncan wasn't released, but that's only if they plan on releasing him in his CGI render rather than his real life counterpart.  My friend says he thinks Millie is the likely character we'll get after engines 1-5, but I'm saying more Victor myself.

Although not a demanded character, Victor would only be announced considering the possibilities that would follow after him.  Even though many people have asked for Trevor, we'd get Kevin for our next road vehicle in the range to go with Victor.  Then after Victor and Kevin are brought into the range, it's likely that Bachmann would introduce a terrible rendition of the Steamworks.  If you're wondering what my idea of terrible is, think Bachmann's Knapford station kit.  The Steamworks would probably have 1 standard gauge track (2 if we're lucky) and 1 narrow gauge track for Victor.  Not a lot of positives there folks...

I think it's also safe to say that many people would rather see an engine such as Duke announced over Victor.  To be quite honest, if we were to see any engine after the main 6, I would rather see Luke (considering his popularity), but I understand that his chances are probably very slim.  As I said before and I'll stand by it, I'll be happy just to see engines 1-5 and maybe Duncan if he isn't based on his CGI render.  Now, time for lunch...

-Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."

mully

I agree however I am still hoping for Duncan as i do think if bachmann release him he would be a hit CGI render or TV or real life I do think he would be a good seller. I can see bachmann differing from engines 1-6 with engines like victor especially based on what rusty pointed out in pervious post, and then maybe less likely Millie who personally I wouldn't mind I think she is a lovely engine and like her design which would be nice to see her along with Stephen. Then less likely again Luke. For me personally for 2018 don't mind

Chaz

Now as promised, Peter Sam:

Out of the three original narrow gauge engines: Sir Handel, Peter Sam and Duncan, I would argue that Peter Sam is the most logical choice and here is why:

Duncan clearly holds the better end of the stick in terms of usage in both model and CGI series, yet his CG render is a red flag for modelers.  Unless Bachmann throws a curveball like they did with the slate wagons and the model would be based off on his original basis then I believe Duncan should be made a lower priority.  Sir Handel on the other hand clearly has a much nicer render than Duncan and would easily be a much better seller, but has fairly minimal usage on the show compared to the other two engines.

Peter Sam, on the other hand, exceeds in both appearances and his render!

Regarding his render, Peter Sam has easily one of the best designs because of the resemblance to his original basis.  This is where he and Sir Handel would both would exceed in terms of sales.  However, Peter Sam might sell better than Sir Handel because due to his funnel, it allows modelers to get creative and buy another Peter Sam and make a custom original funnel to replace the giesl on their spare model.

In terms of usage on the show, Peter Sam has a consistent track record of making appearances in the show.  Starting from his introduction at season 4, he has ranged from making a few appearances and starring roles in every season that featured the narrow gauge engines since then.  He is also one of the few narrow gauge engines to have a lead role in a CGI episode thus making him all the more recognizable.

Overall, it just seems clear to me that Peter Sam really does deserve to be the next logical choice for a narrow gauge engine.  I vouched that the narrow gauge range should do two engines instead of just one for both HO and narrow gauge but if they had to choose just one I personally believe Peter Sam would be the best choice and would easily be the top seller in the range.  Either way it doesn't change the fact that some coaches in the range wouldn't make for a nice bonus in this year's announcements and a first ever ready to run 009 brake van!

Any further thoughts from anyone else would be appreciated.  Does anyone else think Peter Sam should be next too or should it go to one of the other two?  
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

mully

I do agree with that however Duncan. I know I keep coming back to him but here's why popularity thought the years Duncan has some how managed to get more lead roles in episodes based on the narrow gauge railway then peter Sam and sir Handel probably both combined. And yes his CGI render isn't great but (my opinion here) its not terrible could be better yes but if bachmann made a model based on that it wouldn't put me off buying it because its still Duncan and a lot of people are fans of him young and older. Plus bachmann might surprise us all with a nice mix of both model and CGI for his model release. Its been seen before on other locos like diesel. I think there's a very strong ground for both him and peter Sam and if like chat says they decided to make two in one year it wouldn't shock me if they were made together but nor would it shock me if Duncan came before both peter Sam and sir Handel in the range bachmann has a way of surprising us all. Regardless what ever is to come I think that bachmann will do an amazing job. one last point and this is peter Sam related Chas pointed out modelers buying two for the second to be modeled off before his accident. I can see some modelers buying a third or fourth one for Stuart and the other based on his model appearance with his rectangular funnel. Adds bit more to the argument for peter sam

grandpuff

I still agree with others that think Bachmann will stick to the first 6 Narrow Gauge Locomotives. With Skarloey and soon Rheneas being produced we will have both a 0-4-2 and an 0-4-0 chassis available. Both Peter Sam and Sir Handel should be able to utilize the 0-4-2 chassis from Skarloey and Rusty and Duncan should be able to utilize the same 0-4-0 chassis as Rheneas. Using existing chassis should make all of the first six locos more likely to be produced. As others have speculated both Peter Sam and Sir Handel could be produced together since they could utilize the same chassis tooling. The 0-4-0 chassis could be used for both an 0-4-0 steamy such as Duncan or for an 0-4-0 diesel type such as Rusty with different wheels and no valve gear or cylinders. After the first six are produced then I think locos such as Luke and Millie might become possible. Even though I have built my own Duke model based on the one Chaz built I would still like to see him return to the series some day soon and eventually have a model of him too.

Grandpuff
Grandpuff

MeganekkoFury1126

Plus, if Duke did get made (not that I'm expecting to anytime soon), a modeler could modify and repaint himas Bertrum. Y'know, that one-off character from season 5 who never spoke. :P