Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Thomas & Friends in 2018

Started by TerencetheTractor525, March 26, 2017, 02:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Falcon

Quote from: TerencetheTractor525 on November 14, 2017, 08:01:55 PM
Quote from: Falcon on November 14, 2017, 06:45:49 PM
I forgot about that post in page 17. Thanks for reminding me, Terence.

Are you worried that Hiro's longer length would require too much detail for his model? Bachmann has made a few inaccuracies with their engines in the past, including three of their first models made. They've also dealt with having more details than usual with some engines like Oliver, but it must've been a little easier with him because of his smaller length. Skarloey has tons of detail too and he's shorter than Oliver.

You're welcome Falcon.

Yes, that is it for the most part. The main point is that if Bachmann decides to make Hiro, the tooling costs would be so expensive to the point where there would not be enough money to invest in other products with great economic potential such as resin buildings and large scale red coaches. Take his side rods for example. A lot of money of money would have to go into that, and I'm sure that the price of medal has gotten incredibly expensive, which is why Bachmann has been using plastic for Rosie, Skarloey, and Rheneas. In stark contrast, Daisy will not need metal side rods and her overall shape is box.  
She's an incredibly popular character among fans young and old, and deserves much more merchandise.

Now, I really apologize for taking up so much space on this thread due to the countless times I have elaborated on Daisy. I'm going to try to make sure that this is the last time I do it.

I can see some very good points provided. It might be safe to assume that while he has a chance of being made, we should not really expect it anytime soon. I never really said that I'd want to see him so soon either, I only brought him up to see if he would be possible to make.

I've been hoping for Daisy to be made as well and she'd be a very safe bet for future announcements.

TrainFan97

Paxton might be Bachmann's first model to have painted siderods. There's also a chance they may make them plastic. I'd rather have them painted.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

sean1994rail

Since it is nearing the end of the year, here are my predictions for 2018.

HO:

Sidney:Sidney has appeared more often in Season 21 and being a re-tool of Diesel, he would be easy for Bachmann to make.

Troublsome Truck #6: Maybe re-using the ventlated van as with the GWR and Fruit and Vegetable Vans.

Express Coaches re-release: Following the return of the salt van, and it re-use for Trobulesome Truck#5, and given the demand for them, the re-lease of the Express Coaches is inevitable.

Flat Bed re-release

Henrietta (Updated with Face): Of all the revisions, odds are on upgrading Henrietta with a face, as children who sees the recent episodes and buy a Bachmann Henrietta now will whine that it doesn't have her face.

HO Narrow Gauge:

Duncan: I too would hope for Sir Handel and/or Peter Sam to be made next, but Duncan has more potential with his grumpy personality and his frequent appearances, especially in Season 18.
NG Coaches
NG Brake Van

Chaz

As long as Duncan has the proportions of his basis and not his CG render then I think Duncan would do pretty well in terms of sales.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

TrainFan97

My predictions for engines:

HO Scale:
Daisy
Narrow Gauge: Peter Sam
Large Scale: Bill and Ben
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

Chaz

Although everyone's preference for the next lineup of narrow gauge rolling stock would be coaches and/or brake vans, (myself included), I've been looking at other rolling stock possibilities for the range from Talyllyn and I feel like tipper wagons would be a very logical choice after the slate wagons if Bachmann wants to keep up with the mining theme in the range.  Plus like the slate wagons there are different road numbers to choose from for the tipper wagons so I could see them do two with different numbers and one without them.  I could also see them coming with a stone load too, which would look really nice on these.

Would anybody else buy tipper wagons too if Bachmann were to make them?

grandpuff

Yes I would definitely want to add some more of this type car to my collection.
If you look back at some of my photos of Duke around page 7 you will see some of these cars that I have had for many years made by Eggerbahn in the 60's for the HOn30 Minitrains line.

Grandpuff
Grandpuff

TerencetheTractor525

Quote from: Chaz on November 29, 2017, 01:40:51 AM

Although everyone's preference for the next lineup of narrow gauge rolling stock would be coaches and/or brake vans, (myself included), I've been looking at other rolling stock possibilities for the range from Talyllyn and I feel like tipper wagons would be a very logical choice after the slate wagons if Bachmann wants to keep up with the mining theme in the range.  Plus like the slate wagons there are different road numbers to choose from for the tipper wagons so I could see them do two with different numbers and one without them.  I could also see them coming with a stone load too, which would look really nice on these.

Would anybody else buy tipper wagons too if Bachmann were to make them?

I would be very interested in seeing Bachmann make the tipper wagons at some point. They are unique and are seen in the CGI series quite often. Just out of curiosity what are the different numbers?

On a different note, I pasted the link to the resin buildings poll again for anyone who did not vote yet. For everyone who already did, thank you! The results so far are fascinating.

http://www.strawpoll.me/14346400
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

Cheeky_ULP

If you're impatient for tippers, Peco (the same brand Bachmann used to make the vans and open wagon) makes tippers in OO9:

They're available on Hattons (which ships to the US at a good price) in both grey and brown.

Chaz

I'm fully aware of those, just thought they were worth mentioning because of how the Talyllyn slate wagons were used for the Bachmann ones and how they would do the same thing with the tippers too.  Keep in mind I mentioned them as a possibility and that I never said I was "impatient" for them. :P

Quote from: TerencetheTractor525 on December 02, 2017, 11:13:14 PM

I would be very interested in seeing Bachmann make the tipper wagons at some point. They are unique and are seen in the CGI series quite often. Just out of curiosity what are the different numbers?

The numbers on the tipper wagons are 40, 41, 42, 43, 50, 52, 53, 54, and 55.  I imagine like the slate wagons they would do one unnumbered, and one in the 40's and one in the 50's.

TerencetheTractor525

Thank you Chaz and Sparks! That sure is a lot of numbers, and I think that if Bachmann chooses to produce these, the numbers plus adding loads to them will make them stand out. Although, I do believe that Sparks was only openly stating to all of us that if any of us wanted tipper wagons as soon as possible, then the Peco versions would be a quick option. But anyways, I do not mean to escalate that one little issue. Thank you very much both of you  :).
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: TerencetheTractor525 on December 03, 2017, 08:35:58 AM
Thank you Chaz and Sparks! That sure is a lot of numbers, and I think that if Bachmann chooses to produce these, the numbers plus adding loads to them will make them stand out. Although, I do believe that Sparks was only openly stating to all of us that if any of us wanted tipper wagons as soon as possible, then the Peco versions would be a quick option. But anyways, I do not mean to escalate that one little issue. Thank you very much both of you  :).
Bingo. Just an open suggestion for anyone who wants them now. A good stocking stuffer, I'd say.

TrainFan97

The 2018 announcements are only two months away.

Will we get the sassy diesel railcar, or the forgetful dark blue Class 08? It could also be a long shot character. That question won't be answered until then. Just two more months. Suspense is building.

Daisy is definitely the most recommended for HO Scale. No need to rehash my reasons again. We know her sales will certainly be on par with Oliver's.

With Paxton coming soon, having Sidney, another Class 08 diesel shunter, wouldn't be a good idea for 2018 at least, especially since he's considerably less popular than Paxton, so his sales wouldn't be that strong. He is definitely inevitable for the near future.

Cheeky_ULP

Here's hoping we don't get Nia or Rebecca.  ::)

It's a fear Mattel will push Bachmann to do them, but who would be the audience? They may be girl engines and a unique color, but nobody in the Thomas fandom (both young fans who are the shows target audience, fans of the classic show like us, and older folks who know Thomas because their children and grandchildren are into it) has any emotional connection to these new characters, and thus no incentive to buy them.

Chaz

Next year would be too early for Nia and Rebecca to be made since season 22 hasn't been up on Netflix yet.  I'm sure they will be added in the range at some point, being that they will be main characters, but a lot of that would also come down to the success rates of BWBA/season 22.

A thought I had recently though was considering how almost everything that got announced this year is getting pushed back to next year, it really makes me wonder if next year's announcements will be minimal again, specifically no new engines and only getting rolling stock announcements next year.  Especially since this year's was also fairly small due to the amount of products that got delayed from last year, including Oliver.  

I'm hoping that if this is the case, that we at the very least get some decent rolling stock next year.  I wouldn't be as annoyed if they skipped an engine in HO and large scale next year, but I do think Bachmann should invest in new rolling stock toolings rather than relying on recolors, with the exception of the spiteful brake van in HO.  

Ideas that come to mind are Judy and Jerome, a works unit coach, narrow gauge coaches and a brake van (based on the red ones at Talyllyn), and a large scale mail car.  These would be new toolings and would be a lot more pricy, but right there you have a satisfying variety of rolling stock that would not only win over fans and get a lot of strong sales, but it would also allow Bachmann to catch up on what's delayed from last year's announcements.  Then the odds of making engines fans would prefer to see would be more likely in 2019 instead of recolors of the Diesel tooling in HO and large scale like Daisy, Sir Handel, Peter Sam, and a large scale Mavis.  

Either way, I feel like with how production has been recently some new rolling stock toolings would really be beneficial for Bachmann, regardless of whether or not we get new engines next year.