News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New PCB board for Brek

Started by Rickenbacker 325, March 31, 2017, 04:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickenbacker 325

I purchased a new board from the parts department for my NKP 765 because the wires leading to the engine from the tender ripped apart. I wired the board on just like the old one, put a DC chip (for now) in it and it seemed to be set up exactly how it was. However, while running on my DC test track, when I have it set to go forward the headlight turns on but then travels backwards. Same with when I wanna go in reverse, the tender light comes on but then travels forward. I put another DC engine on the track and it went in the opposite direction from 765. It seems like the polarity is switched but I have no idea how to fix it. I ended up putting in a DCC chip from a Spectrum Dash 8 and the same thing happens so it is not the chip. Any ideas?

Edit: here is a pic of the new board installed

Hunt

If lighting is responding correctly to control commands then only the wiring to the motor is reversed.

Direction of travel can be corrected in 4 ways,
1) Swap motor lead on PCB in tender (recommended)
2) Swap motor leads on the small PCB in locomotive, 509XX-H833X-PCB01-A
3) Swap motor leads on the motor
4) Program CV 29, bit 0 to change direction of travel.

Hunt

correct typos ....

Direction of travel can be corrected in one of 4 ways,
1) Swap motor leads on PCB in tender (recommended)
2) Swap motor leads on the small PCB in locomotive, 509XX-H833X-PCB01-A
3) Swap motor leads on the motor
4) Program CV 29, bit 0 to invert to direction of travel instruction.

Hunt

Having an issue with my voice recognition software,
Thus another correction,

4) Program CV 29, bit 0,  to invert the direction of travel instruction.

Rickenbacker 325

Okay, so I am gonna try doing 1 and/or 3. With the first one, is there a diagram that will show me what wires go where? I looked at the original board that I took out and it is exactly the same as the one I put in. 

For the third one, would that be affected if I end up getting a sound decoder put in? I see that you mentioned CV 29 so if it does get effected, it can be changed, just not 100% sure.

I may just end up returning it for a board that is actually working right before I do anything. I just don't want to wait another 2 weeks for it to come in.

bapguy

Did you instal the decoder correctly? The orange wire is pij 1. There should be a mark or 1 on the PCB to show where pin 1 goes.  Joe

Hunt

Use only one of the four suggestions.  Do not combine any of them.

I am not aware of an internal wiring diagram being available from Bachmann.  Wires Bachmann used in the locomotive - - You cannot depend on the wire color to indicate its purpose.

Rickenbacker 325

The chip that was in the engine before had fried, so I used a dummy DC plug for the last 2 months before the wires ripped out. Since that just completes the circuit i don't think you can put them in the wrong way, i could be wrong. The decoder from the Dash 8 was a Digitrax decoder that has no wiring on it, just 8 pins on the bottom, but does indicate where pin 1 is. Not sure what the item number is.

Okay, since there is no diagram then I will just change over the wires in the motor. I wanted a new motor inside anyway so a perfect time to swap it out.

Rickenbacker 325

UPDATE:

So yesterday I got around to pulling the berk apart. I ended up swapping the connections to the motor. I didn't end up getting a new motor for it so it all worked out. While I had the top off, I added some small weights for added traction and pulling power, as well as painting all the white on the wheels except for the drivers like how 765 is now. Just fired it up on the test track and it works perfectly! Thank you Hunt for the suggestions! Now all it needs is a sound decoder and speaker!