News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachman spectrum vs Bachman

Started by cwex, March 31, 2017, 04:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cwex

I have a Bachman Spectrum Acela express and am very happy with it. Now looking to expand into DCC and would like your opinion on the Bachman Echo Express that comes with Bachman DCC controller or getting a Bachman Spectrum loco and MRC explorer DCC.
Also, does Bachman make spectrum freight cars.
Thank you. New to Hobby.

ACY

Quote from: cwex on March 31, 2017, 04:55:48 PM
Now looking to expand into DCC and would like your opinion on the Bachman Echo Express that comes with Bachman DCC controller or getting a Bachman Spectrum loco and MRC explorer DCC.
The Echo Express has a nice 2-6-0 ALCO with a sound value decoder, all the sound functions can be controlled with the included Bachmann DCC system. Some Spectrum locomotives have sound and others do not and some are only DCC ready, so there is a wide range. If you like a 2-6-0 and want a shorter train then that may be best for you. If you prefer a larger engine and train perhaps the Spectrum B&O 2-8-8-4 EM-1 would be a good choice, it has a module available for adding sound and it pulls pretty well. I suggest you purchase a more complete DCC system such as a Bachmann Dynamis or similar level system from another manufacturer if you choose to go that route. I think the MRC Explorer only has very limited capabilities and is almost antiquated at this point. The biggest advantages of DCC are only realized with a more advanced system with full functionality.

Quote from: cwex on March 31, 2017, 04:55:48 PM
Also, does Bachman make spectrum freight cars.
Yes they do, they make the Bachmann Spectrum HO 380 Ton Schnabel Transformer Car in HO scale, as well as some in other scales notably On30. I don't think they make any others in HO though.