News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachman HO DCC sets with magnetic couplers

Started by cwex, April 01, 2017, 11:03:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cwex

I am considering the Bachman Echo Valley Express to get into DCC. Set comes with ez mate couplers. Whats involved in changing these to magnetic couplers? Do any Bachman sets come with magnetic couplers ?
Thank you....

Hunt

Quote from: cwex on April 01, 2017, 11:03:36 AM

. . . Do any Bachman Bachmann sets come with magnetic couplers ?

All current production HO train sets (includes Echo Valley Express) are equipped with magnetically operated knuckle couplers.

Hunt

Quote from: Hunt on April 01, 2017, 12:08:48 PM

All current production HO train sets (includes Echo Valley Express) are equipped with magnetically operated knuckle couplers.

Correction ...
Most current production HO train sets (includes Echo Valley Express) are equipped with magnetically operated knuckle couplers. Exception -- Chuggington,  Acela and perhaps others.

jbrock27

cwex what makes the couplers (and EZ Mates in general) magnetic, is the black. metal, "air hose" on the coupler.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Warflight

Quote from: cwex on April 01, 2017, 11:03:36 AM
I am considering the Bachmann Echo Valley Express to get into DCC.

You and me both, mate! I started looking at that one over the past couple of weeks... depending on where you go, it's a bit cheaper getting that set, than it is to get the DCC Controller that comes with it by itself!

As for couplers... the DeWitt Clinton, John Bull, and all three of the Norris 4-2-0 sets also do not come with EZ Mate couplers (in fact, the John Bull doesn't even have horn hooks any more like they used to)

Some folks will tell you to replace the couplers on the new set anyway, but honestly, I've been using EZ Mate Mk II couplers on most of my engines and stock, and original EZ Mate on one engine, and I have yet to have any issues with them.

Oh, and if I'm not mistaken, the Echo Valley should also include a decoupling magnet as well. (though, instead of a "break man" to mark where you put it, it has a little black dot sticker to stick to the track where it is)

jbrock27

Quote from: Warflight on April 05, 2017, 11:40:00 PM
I've been using EZ Mate Mk II couplers on most of my engines and stock, and original EZ Mate on one engine, and I have yet to have any issues with them.

As of exactly how long now?...

Quote from: Warflight on March 08, 2017, 09:02:07 AM
Hello, I'm new here...only issue, is how much of a pain in the tuchus it is connecting cars. Now, I realize modern couplers would be a bit dumb on something like a Dewitt Clinton, but the rest of them... is it possible to replace the hooks with EZ couplers, and if so, how would I do it? What would I need? I figured I'd ask here, because I can't be the first with this idea... mayhap I can learn from others?

Quote from: Warflight on March 12, 2017, 10:28:08 PM
... so my question is (if anyone is familiar with these) is what EZ Mate Couples should I get to replace on the rolling stock, and the Jupiter?

Quote from: Warflight on March 13, 2017, 05:09:17 PM
Okay! Just ordered 12 pair of the EZ Mate Mark II, Center Shank, Medium couplers!

Wish me luck folks!

Keep Calm and Carry On

Warflight

A few weeks. Still no issues with them.

I'm sure there is a point I missed?