Is a locomotive ever truly discontinued?

Started by sedfred, March 17, 2017, 09:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sedfred

With the recent comeback of the 4-6-0 is there any chance that some of the other spectrum steamers will come back? or are they gone forever? i would love to see a return of the class J as well as the 2-10-4 and 2-10-2

Bucksco

If there is significant demand for an item there is always a chance that it will come back. The only items that are discontinued are those that are past their prime in regard to current technological standards.

Warflight

I'm a relative newcomer to the hobby (I collected in the 80s, but, that's a long story, and a lifetime ago) so as a relative newbie, I LOVE the fact that I can still get the trains I remember from way back when. Ooh, and especially when it's a train I liked then, but now it's updated? That's just sweet.

Thanks Bachmann!

rogertra

Other than two 2-6-0s, which I needed for a branch line service, I haven't purchased a Bachmann steam loco since the seeming demise of the Spectrum range.  The Spectrum engines were the ones that convinced me to model 1958 rather than what I was modelling, 1977.

Big fan of Spectrum steam.

Roger T.

Trainman203

Maybe a re engineered  Russian Decapod will return .  My favorite one of all.  I have 4 that run and one needing heavy repairs.

And the 63" driver ten wheeler too.

rogertra

Quote from: Trainman203 on March 29, 2017, 01:18:48 PM
Maybe a re engineered  Russian Decapod will return .  My favorite one of all.  I have 4 that run and one needing heavy repairs.

And the 63" driver ten wheeler too.

My three 2-10-0s are not my favourite Spectrum engines. 

On one the motor no longer engages and this requires a complete strip down so as to lightly file don the smokebox saddle so the gears will engage.

The second has broken wires between tender and engine which will require removing the boiler and tender body to permanently wire the loco and tender together.

And finally number three, after having the wiring harness resoldered, twice, now has pick-up problems.

The first two have been modified to "unRussion" them with new domes and sandboxes and other minor details.  The third is just sitting there looking pretty.  One day I'll get around to fixing all three but right now they are in boxes awaiting repair.

Cheers

Roger T.

RAM

RogerT  Number one doesn't sound right. I think when you take it apart you will find out that isn't the problem.  I may be wrong, but I can't see that being the problem. 

Trainman203

rogertra

Quote from: RAM on March 29, 2017, 10:56:56 PM
RogerT  Number one doesn't sound right. I think when you take it apart you will find out that isn't the problem.  I may be wrong, but I can't see that being the problem. 

A few years ago (10?), the smokebox saddle needing filling was mentioned on this forum.  One of my 2-10-0s has already undergone this surgery.

Cheers

Roger T.