News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Standard switch on a loop

Started by cwex, April 05, 2017, 04:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cwex

Can I put a standard remote switch on a length of track that carries a train that needs 22 inch radius curves. I intend to make a loop that will have a 18 inch radius curve for a freight set.
My other part of the layout has 2 number 4 switches.
Thank you.

ACY

If the divergent route of the turnout is part of the route your passenger train will run on then it will not be a good idea.

cwex

Should I then get 2 number 4 switches and substitute 22 radius curves for the inner loop.
I assume my passenger train would not run well on 18 radius curve? The passenger set train came with 22 radius curves.
Thank you.

ACY

Full length passenger cars generally need a minimum of 22" radius, some even require 24 or 26" or more depending on other factors. Also #4 turnouts are generally equivalent to something that lists an 18" radius, while a #6 or larger should be used for something that requires a 22" minimum radius.
I personally would not run anything longer than 60' on #4 turnouts.

cwex

Thanx again. I assume it would be ok if i keep that part of my layout separate and only run my new freight train, that came with 18 inch radius curved track, separate.
Also if you don't mind another question,,,,on the Bachman dcc controller, can i only set up one loco at a time on the track?

ACY

When programming an address it is easiest to have only one on the layout or test track. Otherwise you can have as many as you want as long as they have unique addresses.