News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC controller

Started by cwex, February 21, 2017, 08:59:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACY

Quote from: Warflight on April 06, 2017, 05:38:07 PM
I keep seeing the Echo Valley sets coming up new in box for between $130, and $199... considering the controller by itself tends to pop up at about $150, or $250 if it is the controller and engine alone. Plus... getting that set will be my first ever DCC/Sound engine. (I have a DCC engine right now, as well as a DCC ready one, that I MIGHT put sound in someday)
The controller in the set does not sell for $150, the Dynamis sells for about $150 but the one in the set (the basic controller) is only worth about $50 or so.

Warflight

I want to know where you buy your supplies, because I can never seem to find prices that low on things. The local train shop is a bit expensive... Amazon sells the stuff, but at Bachmann catalogue prices, and the prices I listed are the cheapest I've been able to find on eBay, which are lower than Amazon. I would LOVE a $50 DCC controller!

Hunt

An aside----

Quote from: Warflight on April 06, 2017, 07:10:26 PM
I believe Lenz is the company Bachmann uses for a lot of their DCC Decoders... at least, that's what I keep seeing on postings where someone asks what model decoder is in <x> train...

Bachmann manufactures most of the mobile (no sound) decoders factory installed in Bachmann HO locomotives using a Lenz design. It has old technology and very limited features compared to DCC mobile decoder available from other decoder manufacturers.

The locomotives with factory installed sound decoders are OEM decoders manufactured by SoundTraxx for Bachmann using Bachmann's specifications.

ACY

https://www.amazon.com/Bachmann-Trains-Command-Wireless-Infrared/dp/B000W2BAGE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491529049&sr=8-1&keywords=bachmann+dynamis
Dynamis on Amazon for $130-150.

The EZ Command may be either out of stock individually or it might be phased out soon so that might be affecting prices online. But I see it at flea markets and train shows for about $30 used or $50 new all the time.

Warflight

Quote from: Hunt on April 06, 2017, 09:37:55 PM
An aside----

Bachmann manufactures most of the mobile (no sound) decoders factory installed in Bachmann HO locomotives using a Lenz design. It has old technology and very limited features compared to DCC mobile decoder available from other decoder manufacturers.

The locomotives with factory installed sound decoders are OEM decoders manufactured by SoundTraxx for Bachmann using Bachmann's specifications.

Ah, okay, cool! That I didn't know. I just kept hearing the name come up a lot in regards to Bachmann DCC trains. Good to know.

Warflight

Quote from: ACY on April 06, 2017, 09:42:04 PM
https://www.amazon.com/Bachmann-Trains-Command-Wireless-Infrared/dp/B000W2BAGE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491529049&sr=8-1&keywords=bachmann+dynamis
Dynamis on Amazon for $130-150.

The EZ Command may be either out of stock individually or it might be phased out soon so that might be affecting prices online. But I see it at flea markets and train shows for about $30 used or $50 new all the time.

Okay, cool! Unfortunately, I have yet to find any model train stuff at any flea markets around here, but then, it's San Diego, after all... as for Model Train shows... I SO want to go to one, but haven't yet. Every time I hear about one locally, it's from two or three months ago. I should ask next time I see the S gauge club guys... I would ask at my local train shop, but... those guys just get weirder every time I go in (which, if I'm being honest, is half the fun of going in)

Until then, I guess I'm stuck with looking online. The Dynamis is cool and all, but it seems a bit complicated to me, which is why I want to start out with the EZ Command. Again, I can't even set the clock on the microwave...

Bucksco

EZ Command is not being "phased out"

ACY

Thank you for that information, I guess it just must be out of stock through most online retailers at the moment who are awaiting a new shipment.

Warflight

Quote from: Yardmaster on April 06, 2017, 10:49:40 PM
EZ Command is not being "phased out"

FANTASTIC!

As a newbie to DCC, I like the idea of EZ Command. The more complicated the controller, the easier it is to break... plus, watching the Bachmann videos, it looks like it's pretty easy to use, and personally, I like the familiar throttle. Give me a dial to turn over buttons any day!

Terry Toenges

I'm taking note of all this, also. I want to move up from EZ Command to something with more amps. Dynamis should meet my needs but I'm open to checking out other systems.
Easy to use is important to me.
Feel like a Mogul.

Warflight

They actually sell a 5 amp power booster for the EZ Command... though, I don't know if it would be cheaper to buy a new controller or not.

But yeah... something can have all the features in the world, but, if you can't use them, or they are hard to figure out... well.

Hunt

Warflight,

Folks who start with the mindset I can't do have difficulty using DCC.

Warflight

It isn't really a "I can't do" so much as "Let's start with something simple".

I mean, if I'm building a layout that will have maybe two trains at most on it, does it do me any good to get something complicated, when simple will do? Maybe later, when my layout grows, and I'm used to using DCC, I'll upgrade. (I still want that dial for controlling my speed)

Terry Toenges

I've been researching what's available from NCE and MRC as well as Dynamis. I'm still very much in the learning stages when it comes to DCC systems and capabilities and there's a lot I'm hazy on. I do want wireless.
I've been comparing a lot of prices at various places.
For about $300, I can get 2.3 amp Dynamis with the 5 amp booster and Pro Box for another $264. That totals $564. I'm not sure if I would even need the Pro Box.
With MRC, I can get their Prodigy Advance Wireless which is 3.5 amp for $400 or their Prodigy Elite Wireless 10 amp for $433. I kind of like the looks of their cab better than NCE.
For NCE, The Power Cab Starter system at 2 amps is $120 and 5 amp booster at $169. Wireless cab upgrade from NCE is $97 and $128 for wireless base station. That $514 total.
Or, I can get the 5 amp PH-Pro-R wireless starter system for $490 and power supply for for $49 so that's $539.
It's a tough decision. I've seen good things said about Dynamis and MRC and NCE. With 5 amps, I know I won't have to worry about getting close to the system limit. 3.5 amps would probably be ok, but I don't know for sure about 2.3 amps. The 5 amps would give that piece of mind that I can't put a dollar value on. Since it's On30 and not HO, I don't know if there's more current needs with the locos.
I really don't plan on more than 3 locos. My 2-6-0, and buying a Heisler. I want to get a Porter for my little storage yard. All with sound.
I already have 5 DCC turnouts. I'm thinking 3-5 more. One or two for cars on the upper loop. Probably 3 for yard/station area.
This will all take a few months because I can only buy so much at a time (If I want to stay married  ;)).
I don't have it set yet how I want to do the yard. I have a general idea, but I have to get some of my trestles built and do some figuring as to the room I'll have and an underpass under the trestle.
This is a new challenge for me because I've never worked with reverse loops before, never built a strictly DCC layout, never had a point to point layout, and never had to build this much trestle stuff.
That's why I like it - because of the challenge.
Feel like a Mogul.