News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Possum Hollow....a white metal kit

Started by WoundedBear, April 13, 2017, 12:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoundedBear

Hi guys. Been a while since I posted any pics again. I have had time to stop in once in a while, but not posted much at all. Too much talking on here makes for way too little build time......lol.  ::)

It's spring again and time for the track again. I destroyed a motor last year and didn't get a new one until just before the new year. I'm in the process of getting it back in the car now. It's pretty................... ;D The only thing we managed to save from the old one was the block itself. This new one should be a little kick in the pants.....lol.

After the Mikado weathering I did, I got side tracked with an automotive build. Anyone recognize this? :D

WoundedBear

OK....enough of that silliness. On to the reason I brought you all here. ;D

This is a little white metal kit by Woodland Scenics called Possum Hollow. A small narrow gauge 'boose that's been converted into a living quarters for a family. Everything is white metal. No plastic at all. The assembly was just 4 walls, a floor and roof......and a ton of painting. Most everything was first shot with rattle can primers, either gray or red oxide, then hand painted over top.

There are nearly 80 castings in this kit, and you can select themes, so to speak, for the junk. I chose some barrels and an old car chassis. There are welding tanmkks, and scrap piles and all sorts of junk included. What doesn't get used with the kit can easily be integrated into the rest of your scenery. Unfprtunately, I have no construction shots, only the finished shots. I used a scrap piece of backdrop behind the diorama base to hide my workbench.

Enjoy!

Sid

Terry Toenges

Excellent on both. Your big toys and your little toys. :)
Feel like a Mogul.

jonathan

Whoa!  Is that HO?  I mean... there are clothes on the clothes line!  I am blown away...  Perfect scene to plant anywhere on the layout. 

Of course I'd have to work in the flintstonemobile somewhere, too.  Great!

Regards,

Jonathan

WoundedBear

Thanks guys......glad you like it.

Jonathan.............the laundry was more than a challenge to get hung up. Wife wants to know why I don't put in that much effort with the real laundry......lol.

Sid

jonathan

I can imagine getting the poles, and line, nice and stiff were the hard part.  Had to support metal clothes after all.  Good on ya.

Regards,

Jonathan

WoundedBear

Jon.........

The line is actually .015" phosphor bronze wire glued into the cross arms of the poles. It is stiff enough that it works as a brace for the poles as well as holding the clothes castings without the sag one would get using flexible line.

Sid

BIG BEAR

Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

Warflight

FANTASTIC! Though, I have to ask (and I'm sure this is a "duh" question, but, newbie here) what sort of glue did you use? I have a white metal kit here of an old ore car (it's so tiny!) and I have no idea what sort of glue to use...

jbrock27

Of course, great work as per usual Sid  :).

Best of luck this upcoming racing season.  Be fast and be safe!
Keep Calm and Carry On

WoundedBear

Thanks guys!

Warflight........I normally use 5 minute epoxy or a slow setting thick CA for white metal, although a regular white glue can work at times too. If you use a CA it helps to also use a kicker to prevent fogging.

Sid

Warflight

Quote from: WoundedBear on April 15, 2017, 01:55:55 PM
Thanks guys!

Warflight........I normally use 5 minute epoxy or a slow setting thick CA for white metal, although a regular white glue can work at times too. If you use a CA it helps to also use a kicker to prevent fogging.

Sid

Awesome! Thanks! So super glue is probably out then, yeah?

WoundedBear

CA........Cyanoacrylate Adhesive.........is super glue.

Sid

Warflight

Quote from: WoundedBear on April 15, 2017, 08:32:26 PM
CA........Cyanoacrylate Adhesive.........is super glue.

Sid

AH! Okay... in my Roundhouse Kits, CA is "Contact Adhesive", which is described as more like a rubber cement... (I thought that seemed a bit off... got it now!)