News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Hinged entry to layout

Started by RedlegJim, April 13, 2017, 02:21:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedlegJim

I'm thinking of adding an addition to my layout and I have a concern on how to hinge the entry to the layout. I'm using Bachmann EZ track and I'm not sure how this would work. If anyone has added a hinged section to their layout, I would appreciate your input.

Trainman203

Googling that ought to turn up plenty.

jonathan

Google, or youtube is a good suggestion.  I'll add my two cents.

Our club uses two access bridges:  both are the single-hinge method; whereby the hinge is placed inset, on one side, and one lifts the swing portion up and to the side.

If I may suggest, whether you build a swing-up style or swing-to-the-side style:  build the hinge and bridge first, making sure it's solid and will close in exactly the same place every time.  THEN lay the tracks in one piece across the bridge.  Finally cut the tracks at the break point.  A dremel cut off disc will work, but cutting by hand, with a razor saw, will give you a smaller gap.

After all that's done, the you can start soldering the connecting wires, ensure there's a nice-and-loose bend point for the wires that can handle the movement.  Only the hinge side will need connecting wires, if you have feeders along your entire layout.

My rant is now done.

Regards,

Jonathan

Ckrails

Hardware stores sell long metal hinges in various lengths; my Home Depot has them in up to 4 foot lengths.  Whether your extension will fold up or or down, for extra piece of mind you may wish to put something extra to support  the hinged side as well as the unhinged end.  As the others have said, plenty of info on this on the Net.

mabloodhound

A lift-out/ drop-in is much easier to build.
Hinges do not add anything to the "bridge" and can be a real pain.
Lift outs are so much easier but do as Jonathan said....lay the tracks first and then cut them.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

RedlegJim

Thanks for some good ideas on different removable either swing or lift out section. I understand the need to lay the track first. My question is after I lay the track and cut it what do I need to make sure I have power running through the track on the removable section? Does the removable section need its own or additional power or can I insert extra rail joiners to connect the cut sections of the teack.

RAM

If you want to know how, do a google search lift out/drop in for model railroad layout.  You will find many ways of doing it.  Pick the one you think is best.  All I can add is take you time & MAKE SURE YOU DO IT RIGHT. 

macivor

I like the lift out idea with a feeder,  fed through a chain secured to one side.  then let it hang to one side.

Trainman203

There are ways to assure a dead section of track on either side of the lift out if it is not in place, to make certain that a train does not take the tragic plunge