News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Question about SD40-2

Started by pilot2fly, April 15, 2017, 01:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pilot2fly

Hi all,

I was looking at a SD40-2 online and found this one (already been sold but looking at similar ones).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BACHMANN-HO-SCALE-SD-40-2-DIESEL-SANTA-FE-5043-ENGINE-LOCOMOTIVE-MODEL-RAILROAD-/361886217703?nma=true&si=jbKAtBkv%252FKrzLF7n1S61NRIx8AE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Does anyone know anything about this specific Bachmann SD40-2? Is it DC or DCC? Does it run well? A

Also, if I purchase one of these, will the Bachmann shells at the following link work if I want to change out the original Santa Fe shell? Also, will it work on Bachmann EZ track with the DC controller?

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_68_187&products_id=7839

Thanks!

ACY

It is analog DC, and is not worth the trouble to convert to DCC, it is cheaper and easier and less time consuming to buy one that already has DCC and is a better runner.
The total cost of what you are trying to do would be $90 or more for an old locomotive that does not run that great and doesn't have DCC or sound.
For just $20 more you can buy a brand new SD40-2 locomotive in CSX livery with DCC & Sound that also runs better and you would not have to install a decoder if you choose to use a DCC controller.

Of course the locomotive in the link will work on EZ-track with a DC controller but the new shell may not be exactly the same and may require some small modifications.

pilot2fly

Thanks for the reply ACY. That's exactly what I was looking for. I think I will go with the DCC/Sound CSX SD40-2. Do you recommend any specific places online to buy them since they're only $20 more?

ACY

Train World had them for $120 and MB Klein had them for $110
A non sound DCC model can be purchased for about $50-60

jbrock27

Check out: Model Train Stuff, Micro Mark, Tower Hobbies, the many Sellers on Ebay that actually sell NEW items, The Favorite Spot, Internet Railroad...
Keep Calm and Carry On

ACY

Quote from: jbrock27 on April 16, 2017, 08:18:26 AM
Check out: Model Train Stuff...
Just for clarity "Modeltrainstuff.com" is the website for MB Klein

pilot2fly

Thanks so much guys. I've got all your sites bookmarked. I found a Bachmann DCC SD40-2 in CSX colors on sale at modeltrainstuff for $59.99. Immediately snatched it up! I got a 1" x 1" bluetooth speaker for $10 to put in the first rolling stock train car and I figured for now I'll use the model train sounds app to get sounds. Eventually down the road I will shell out the money for a DCC with sound loco, but since I'm just starting in the hobby I want to work my way up.

Warflight

Quote from: pilot2fly on April 16, 2017, 11:30:36 AM
Eventually down the road I will shell out the money for a DCC with sound loco, but since I'm just starting in the hobby I want to work my way up.

HUZZAH! More people starting in the hobby! Nothing makes me happier than hearing that new people are getting into model railroading! That means manufacturers will have to make more stuff!

jbrock27

Quote from: Warflight on April 17, 2017, 03:12:23 AM
HUZZAH! More people starting in the hobby! That means manufacturers will have to make more stuff!

Really?!?  How many more new hobbyists do you think it takes before a manufacturer can justify ramping up their production? 
Keep Calm and Carry On

Warflight

Quote from: jbrock27 on April 25, 2017, 06:49:37 AM
Quote from: Warflight on April 17, 2017, 03:12:23 AM
HUZZAH! More people starting in the hobby! That means manufacturers will have to make more stuff!

Really?!?  How many more new hobbyists do you think it takes before a manufacturer can justify ramping up their production? 

Ah... no... you're right.

GO AWAY, NEWBIES!

Look, every little bit helps. New people in the hobby is a good thing. Sorry I said anything though. I didn't mean to offend.

jbrock27

No one said anything about telling "Newbies"  (I strongly dislike that term btw) to go away ??? ::)  Again with the melodrama...

-Have you not read here, the multitude of posts where people whine about certain locos no longer being produced?  And the subsequent response from the Overlords to the effect that "there are no plans at this time" to produce them?  What might that tell you?

-Of course, no doubt new people entering the hobby is a good thing, but what do the numbers show for model trains?

-Don't be sorry you said anything; you're free to say whatever you want.  I am sure you will regardless.

-No one said you offended anyone.

Maybe the Bachmann Overlords can tell you how many new folks in the hobby it takes for them to warrant an increase in production?  While they are at it, maybe they can tell us how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop...
Keep Calm and Carry On

Warflight

Quote from: jbrock27 on April 26, 2017, 07:06:15 AM

Maybe the Bachmann Overlords can tell you how many new folks in the hobby it takes for them to warrant an increase in production?  While they are at it, maybe they can tell us how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop...

If memory serves me... three. It takes three licks to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop. (though, that commercial MIGHT have been a bit misleading)

bapguy

The wise old Owl: 1,2,3....... crunch!!!!!!

jbrock27

Quote from: Warflight on April 26, 2017, 08:40:30 AM
that commercial MIGHT have been a bit misleading

Yep, a large part of what advertising is all about... ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On