News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Ballast Spreader

Started by Warflight, April 18, 2017, 08:22:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warflight

Bachmann is now selling Ballast spreaders, and Ballast gluers, and they look really cool and all, but... does anyone know of any videos on how to use them with EZ track?

I can find PLENTY of videos on ballasting EZ track, and plenty of videos on using the Ballast spreaders on flex track... but nothing on the ballast spreaders on EZ track.

Maybe Bachmann can put up a video on their Youtube channel? I don't want to buy, if it won't work, or it won't make my life easier...

Maybe the Bach-Man knows?

jonathan

I found that ballasting EZ track is about the same as any other kind of track with a roadbed. Perhaps I moved a little slower because plastic roadbed is a bit slicker than cork... otherwise, same/same.

It makes sense that the devices (like the spreader), sold by Bachmann, would work on their EZ track.  That spread device looks that same as other spread devices I have seen.

Regards,

Jonathan

Len

I've tried lots of different ballasting gadgets and find a slightly squished paper cup and soft brush work as well as most of them.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Warflight

What I'm curious about, is the videos I see involving spreaders, you use the ballast spreader to spread the ballast first, and then you run the glue spreader. It would SEEM to me, that doing it that way with EZ track, the ballast would slide off the sides before you could glue. (because, yes, it is a bit slicker than cork, thus my concerns) So, glue, ballast, glue? Or just ballast and glue? (this is why there needs to be a video)

I mean, if you have to glue, then ballast, and then glue, then it would seem (to me at least) that buying the spreader setup would be a waste of time, and that a slightly squished paper cup would probably be the better investment.

Because of how my hands shake now days, I'm probably going to have to ballast track, then lay it, rather than lay rack, then ballast it... otherwise, my layout will just end up a huge beach scene. No ocean, just beach. (sand... it's EVERYWHERE!) So I figure, before I even have a track plan I'm certain of, I should be figuring out some of these little details.

I actually considered just weathering the roadbed, and not ballasting at all, but every forum posting where someone asked about weathering track, be it here, or elsewhere that Google took me, the answers all involved ballasting. (and I don't think I have the painting chops to replace ballast with weathering alone... maybe if it was track nobody would ever see, but then what would be the point of that?)

dutchbuilder

EZ track wasn't designed for ballast.
The grey part simulates the ballast.
I had some EZ track and i gave it away as soon as the occasion arose.
Sorry but EZ track is absolutely not for me.
I myself use only flex track and the ballast is necessary to secure the track to the layout.
I apply my ballast in the old fashioned way, with a cup and a brush and fix it with diluted woodglue.

Ton

Warflight

I have actually decided that my first layout will be exclusively EZ track, simply because I want to see of I can... and I have seen a LOT of layouts that use EZ track that look GREAT! (I believe there is an older post by Johnathan I ran across last night, where he said the area was EZ track, that looked AMAZING, and I never would have known it was EZ track had he not said so)

I also read debates on "roadbed vs ballast" and how EZ track is roadbed, and not ballast (my research last night started because I wanted to see if anyone had weathered EZ track to a point where it didn't NEED ballast to look nice, but all of my searches led to ballasting)

My plan, for my layout, is to model the Wild West, of course, but I planned to do it in stages... build the layout, and then, over the next several months (or years) after the initial build, to add details, and realism as I go... so I was thinking, make the land right, and the track good, and the town, and scenery "new", but modular, so as time goes on, I can grow my town, add details like weathering, and natural growth, and that sort of thing. But for the basic, I wanted to maybe spend a couple of weekends, and have a layout... and let the finer details come later, and it seems to me, that a product like EZ track will work out well, especially if I make as many changes to the track plan as I go along as I expect I probably will. For instance, I don't plan on any turnouts on my initial setup, but, I will add spurs, and sidings at a later date.

The vision I had, all those years ago, the first time I got into model railroading, was to have a nice collection of trains that I could display, and a simple layout that I could run them on every so often. I see now that I'll be running them a LOT more often than "every so often" so something that can evolve over time is what I want to build.

(boy... did I ever get off the rails on this topic!)

Terry Toenges

In years past, I've given my EZ Track a wash of diluted black India ink to tone it down. I never got around to doing all the track and I don't have any pics of the track I did do. It doesn't stick very good so it takes a few washes. You have to be sure to wipe the rail heads after you do.
Feel like a Mogul.

Warflight

Quote from: Terry Toenges on April 18, 2017, 07:48:49 PM
In years past, I've given my EZ Track a wash of diluted black India ink to tone it down. I never got around to doing all the track and I don't have any pics of the track I did do. It doesn't stick very good so it takes a few washes. You have to be sure to wipe the rail heads after you do.

That's kind of an idea I was looking for! I wonder if a watered down acrylic would work better?

Joe323

There is no reason why you cannot ballast ez track.  The usual wet water and diluted white glue work fine.  My problem with  un-ballasted ez track is that you can see the seams between sections and thus it looks unprototypical.

jbrock27

Is everything prototypical on the SIW, Joe?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Ckrails

I've scenicked most of my layout, so (for me) ballasting is a must, but I've never used a ballasting tool.  I was able to do so with EZ Track without too much trouble.   I painted some full-strength white glue on the sides with a paintbrush, sprinkled ballast on it with a plastic spoon, waited a day and added some more dry ballast, then sealed it with very diluted white glue that I keep in another glue bottle that had previously been used up.  For between the rails, I just spread the dry ballast on it and then seal it with diluted glue.

My only complaint is that the roadbed is pretty tall; I wish Bachmann would produce a lower-profile version.

Joe323

Quote from: jbrock27 on April 20, 2017, 07:53:49 AM

Obviously not but the seems of roadbed track are just something that seem to bother me.  We all choose our compromises.

Terry Toenges

If you can't lower the roadbed, raise the ground. I use sheets of 1/4" foam to bring the ground level up in town areas.  I put the track on the sheet and outline it. Then, cut the foam and butt it up against the roadbed. You can fill the gap with foam putty.
One sheet will make the road bed look lower. If you are ballasting, you can fill the V shaped gap between the foam and roadbed with ballast. If not, then you can use foam putty or spackle.
Two sheets will bring the track close to ground level in town areas. After your cuts, butt one sheet up against the track. Then put another one on top of that. You can push it in closer to the roadbed if you bevel the underneath edge of the foam. Doing it that way secures your roadbed, also, and keeps it from moving.
Feel like a Mogul.

jbrock27

Quote from: Joe323 on April 22, 2017, 08:17:06 PM

Obviously not

Thanks, didn't think so.

Begs a question; if the plan is to ballast, why bother using EZ track ???
Keep Calm and Carry On

Joe323

Quote from: jbrock27 on April 23, 2017, 11:26:51 AM
Quote from: Joe323 on April 22, 2017, 08:17:06 PM

Obviously not

Thanks, didn't think so.

Begs a question; if the plan is to ballast, why bother using EZ track ???

The new SIW uses flex track but to answer your question snaping together EZ track is easi and faster than using flex or sectional track and roadbed though your are paying a price for the convenience ballasting is not required but IMHO makes the track look better.