News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Voltage measurement

Started by lamarager, April 25, 2017, 06:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lamarager

I am having a problem with my loco working on parts of the track but not on others.  I am attempting to measure the voltage with a "Home Depot" meter but not having any luck.  Is some special meter required?

RAM

ACY

A more expensive meter might be required for DCC.

jbrock27

What kind of track are you using lamar?
Keep Calm and Carry On

lamarager

I am using Bachmann EZ Trac.  I have a Bachmann  EZ Command Center (DCC).  I am also using a 16 v ac Bachman Controller for accessories and a Bachmann EZ App wireless Smart Phone locomotive.

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

lamarager

I did not know there were more than one kind.  It is nickel/silver if that's what you mean.  If not, I have to wait until  get home on Sunday.

Len

You should be able to use the AC setting on your meter to get a reading. Because of the waveform DCC uses, it won't be a completely accurate measurement, but it can be used to locate problem areas.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

Quote from: lamarager on April 27, 2017, 11:10:16 AM
I did not know there were more than one kind.  It is nickel/silver if that's what you mean.

Happy to see your answer :)  There is also Steel EZ Track but that is crud, so you got the good stuff ;).

I take it bc it is EZ Track, you don't have the joiners soldered?  If that is the case I would consider testing the continuity/resistance (OHMs) from one section to the other for those spots where you are having trouble by removing the sections one section of track past either side of where your troubles are and then testing the continuity by putting the probes at opposite ends on the same rail and see what the resistance is like.  I suspect what you are going to find is loose rail joiners that may be loose from age and being put together and taken apart a few times.

Just a suggestion, hope that helps.
Keep Calm and Carry On

James in FL

Hi lamarager,

Are you well versed in the use of the meter?
If not, not to worry.
We were all newbies once,

When you attempt to measure (voltage?), what does the display show?

Where are you placing the probes?

Parallel or Series?

All good advice, from the previous posters

Continuity and Voltage are two very different things.

lamarager

Thanks for the suggestions.  I am away from home but I will check them out when I get home and respond at that time.  Thanks