So you think you have problems with DCC

Started by Woody Elmore, December 02, 2007, 06:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woody Elmore

Today's headlines here on Long Island deal with the new LIRR GM built locomotives that can run both on diesel or third rail. It seems that when one computer acts up several others shut down. The railroad is having major problems with its schedules due GM electronics problems. Shop personnel said that they often get a locomotive out of the shop only to see it back in a week.

Funny, they never had this problem when they were running G-5 steam engines and Alco road switchers.

Conrail Quality

For the life of me, I'll never understand why the LIRR didn't just go with the proven, reliable, GE P32ACDM that both Amtrak and Metro-North use on a daily basis without difficulties.
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

SteamGene

I'd say a computer equipted, automatic stoked with adjustable chute 4-6-0 would be the answer. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Woody Elmore

Gene - you forgot the digitized whistle and crew comfort cab on the G-5.

Last time I was in Mineola one of those GM engines went through the crossing with a train and must have been doing 60. It was really moving and made an impressive sight (and sound - very loud horn). I remember the FM C-Liners creeping along belching black smoke .