Narrow Gauge Slate Wagons In Stock!

Started by InsideTrack, April 26, 2017, 01:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sean1994rail

Thank you, bachmann. Looking forward to them, and Rheneas and Rusty as well.

AJW98Productions

So did anyone else see the product description for the Slate Wagons on the homepage?
QuoteNarrow Gauge Thomas & Friends™ products are HO models that run on N scale track. This car features international-style hook and loop couplers and a removable load. Whether you pick a version with or without road numbers, these Slate Wagons are slated for fun on your Sodor quarry line.

I'm surprised no one's commented on how "punny" that description is :D

~Alex.

Anthony P2

So I finally got the new slate wagons! They came last week and boy they are a lot smaller than I thought! They seemed smaller in person than in recent pictures with Skarloey and Rheneas! But for their size, they have pretty good detail on them! I really like that they came with loads too! I'll defiantly have to get more!! I haven't had time to run them with Skarloey yet but I will soon! Hopefully tomorrow!!

Captain Crutch

Send pictures and/or videos Anthony. I'd love to see Skarloey with them.
Formerly HLC Railroad, but now I'm back and better than ever!

Anthony P2

Sure! I'll try to get some pictures as soon as I can!

Chaz

Well, the slate wagon's have arrived, and I can't express enough how incredible these have been, so I as usual here is a nice in-depth review on them from yours truly.

Right off the bat, even by just looking at the packaging, we can tell that Bachmann put a lot more effort into these van the Peco re-colors, (as if it wasn't obvious enough), as they are in the narrow gauge packaging as opposed to the Peco boxes, with no obvious Peco logo at the bottom of each wagon too.

The wagons are supplied with metal wheels, which allowed better performance than plastic wheels. I have found these to be a lot better when running as they have not come off the tracks when going at a minimal speed over switches at at the club setup.

I was also impressed with the slate load. I was hoping that the loads would be made of metal, but it turns out that they are made of plastic.  This isn't necessarily a bad thing, as they are two separate individual loads in each wagon that you can fit on however you would like. They still add a decent amount of weight to each of the wagons, which also allowed for decent performance.

Yes, these wagons are small. Very small. Again, not a bad thing as these resemble the Talyllyn slate wagons rather than the ones on the show.  I honestly prefer this, as it not only looks a lot more realistic, or even has better proportions, but it also shows how seriously Bachmann is taking this range, unlike some of the decisions we have seen them make for the HO and large scale ranges. They know who the target consumers are, even as noted in the TCA video, they decided to go the extra mile with the new rolling stock.  Clearly it's starting to pay off!

These look great behind Skarloey and they will look equally great behind Rheneas, Rusty, or any other engine that Bachmann would announce for this range in the future.  It's a shame that no new rolling stock additions got announced this year for narrow gauge as I would love to see more additions come out in the same quality.  Read this post below if you wish to hear more in depth thoughts about my thoughts on future engine/rolling stock suggestions for this range:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,33422.msg247379.html#msg247379

All in all, Bachmann has really got me sold on the slate wagons. I also plan on buying more in the future whenever I get started on my own personal 009 layout. They have outdone themselves with Skarloey and Rheneas and they clearly have done so once again with the slate wagons.  Hope we can see more additions like this in the future, a brake van in particular would make this train feel a lot more complete.  Aside from a nitpick or two, I think these are worth the investment and if you haven't ordered these already, they are highly recommended by me.  Well done Bachmann!
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

sodorlad

Great review, Chaz... and great to hear about the improved performance with the metal wheels.

I want to order mine now!
Botheration...

JLK2707

Yeah! These look cool! I might just get some for myself!

grandpuff

Thanks for the thorough review Chaz as always.

I have 3 of the slate wagons and one each of the red and blue goods wagons and one of the open wagons on order and they should all be here by next week. Looking forward to having more rolling stock for my Duke and Skarloey and soon I hope Rheneas.

Thanks again,
Grandpuff
Grandpuff

grandpuff

I just received my HOn30 narrow gauge cars this week and they all look great. Very detailed and nice finish even if they are peco repaints. As Chaz has pointed out in his review above the slate wagons have metal wheels which do track better considering the light weight of these cars. I do like the fact that the slate loads are hollow so additional weight can be added easily if desired. If only we could get the brake vans and some coaches sooner rather than later.

Eagerly awaiting any news on Rheneas arrival.

Grandpuff
Grandpuff