News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

S4 #63112 PRR 8490

Started by isoc, May 01, 2017, 03:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isoc

I just purchased this loco at my local shop.  The Amazon product description says it has sound on board, no decoder.  This locomotive says "(DCC ready)", so I know it does not have a decoder. 

It runs fine DC.  But I'd like to know if I add a sound decoder, and run it DCC, will I get sound? 

Thanks, Ted

ACY

It can't have factory sound if it has no decoder. Assuming your locomotive is DCC ready you will need to add both a sound decoder as well as a speaker and baffle. Then you will get sound,and  if you run it on DCC you can control all the sounds.

isoc

Thanks, ACY.  This is where the confusion comes in, as at Amazon it says:

"DCC - Sound Value equipped for speed, direction, lighting, 16-bit polyphonic sound
All-wheel drive, precision can motor, and Fine scale details
Performs best on 18" radius curves or greater
E-Z Mate Couplers
HO Scale 1:87 "

ACY

Amazon often has incorrect product descriptions or images or other inaccuracies. Bachmann makes the S4 locomotive both as DCC ready and as DCC equipped with sound. If you bought one that already has sound then obviously it has sound and you need not do anything else. If you bought a DCC ready locomotive then you must purchase both a sound decoder and speaker and baffle to have sound. Those are only two possibilities. You would have noticed if your locomotive has sound as it makes random sounds on DC analog operation.

bapguy

If you want sound, you can use a Tsunami 2 or econami, Lok Sound, or WOW. Bachamann sells the sound value decoder as well. You'll need a speaker and enclosure. I used the enclosure that comes on the sound value loco.   Joe
enclosure:  http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_68_573&products_id=7121
sound value decoder: http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_68_573&products_id=10483

The sound value is a stripped down SoundTRaxx decoder. If you're on a budget, it's a good way to get into sound.

isoc

Thanks all for the clarifications!

- Ted

isoc

Quote from: ACY on May 01, 2017, 06:45:20 PM
Amazon often has incorrect product descriptions or images or other inaccuracies. Bachmann makes the S4 locomotive both as DCC ready and as DCC equipped with sound. If you bought one that already has sound then obviously it has sound and you need not do anything else. If you bought a DCC ready locomotive then you must purchase both a sound decoder and speaker and baffle to have sound. Those are only two possibilities. You would have noticed if your locomotive has sound as it makes random sounds on DC analog operation.

What kind of "random sounds?"  Thanks, Ted

isoc

While I'm here, any suggestions as to how to remove the "shell" so I can access the decoder location?  Other than, "very carefully", any more specific suggestions would help.  The diagram is not too helpful.  Looking at it, and at the locomotive, it seems like I should be prying the sides away from the body near where the hand rails attach.  But that could be wrong.  Maybe removing the long screws for the couplers is what I should do.  - Ted

ACY

Honestly taking off the shell is the easiest part of installing a decoder. After you install the decoder and speaker it will be a very tight fit, or will not fit if you choose the wrong decoder or speaker. The locomotive with sound will have a bell and horn that will go off like the bell will ring when the locomotive is traveling slowly.

isoc

Quote from: ACY on May 01, 2017, 10:05:05 PM
Honestly taking off the shell is the easiest part of installing a decoder. After you install the decoder and speaker it will be a very tight fit, or will not fit if you choose the wrong decoder or speaker. The locomotive with sound will have a bell and horn that will go off like the bell will ring when the locomotive is traveling slowly.

That's interesting, but I'd like to know more about taking off the shell.  I'm glad it's easy, but do I remove the long screws on the couplers, or do they have nothing to do with prying off the shell?  - Ted

jonathan

Your intuition is correct.  Simply remove the couplers.  Take out the screws.  The coupler boxes should pull right out.  Then, the shell will lift right off the frame.

Sometimes things are a little sticky the first time.  So, a little gentle wiggling may, or may not, be necessary.

Regards,

Jonathan

isoc

Thanks all for the feedback.  After re-reading the thread and thinking it over, I decided that I am trying to do things backwards.

I'll return the S4 for one that has the DCC decoder and sound already built in, and use it with DCC.  If I ever decide I want to run it DC, then I'll remove the decoder.

Best regards,  Ted

Bucksco

The decoders that come pre-installed are "Dual mode". They will run in either DC or DCC mode.

isoc

N-Trains

Does anyone know the pin configuration for the ends of "Black Interconnecting power cable" between the Analog Controller and the E-Z Command Controller?