Please use the option to silence locos, until user chooses to start sound!

Started by kmcsjr, May 05, 2017, 01:41:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kmcsjr

Bachmann
The K4 and Berk are stunning models. But, already, I'm thinking, no more sound, from you. The idea that I need to cycle through every Bmann loco, on the tracks and silence them, because I interrupted power is preposterous. Save the money, leaveus a nice set of pins to put in sound, with an off switch. It's worth the extra investment.
Great steam. Really a bummer of a decision, since even the cheaper brand sound decoders have this feature.

gatrhumpy

I whole-heartedly disagree with you. Just set the CV to have the sound be off when you turn on power.

kmcsjr

An MRC, or a full Tsunami decoder remembers the last state of the decoder. I can not find a CV for these that allows me to do what you suggest. If there is one, I'd HAPPILY adopt that solution. I'm not going to program on the main to turn sound on and off for multiple decoders, each time I cycle the power. 🙂 Which specific CV are you referencing? Anything I've found and the sound is back on, the next time DCC is applied. I'm SPECIFICALLY asking, for the solution, you imply.

Thanks
Marty

kmcsjr

I called Sountraxx support today. It was a Bachmann decision to not allow the decoders to be easily silenced. They do have the feature on HO models. If Bachmann makes a steamer, I buy one, or more. I hope to continue, but he idea of needing to silence 2-5-9 decoders manually.... nope

Please consider adding this functionality back to future models.

Bucksco

kmcsjr

Ahhh. If only F8 held in the decoder memory, like it does on MRC and other decoders. The problem is that the next time you turn on the DCC system (or even interrupt power to the main, using the programming track, they ALL come back on. That's the problem, so basically, a roundhouse full of Bachmann Steam (my goal) can't have your sound decoders. Because, every time I fire up the system I'd have to silence every engine.....

How about understanding your product, and reading my complaint, before repeating what I said, was the only poor solution?

ACY

How about a toggle switch for your stalls, either all of them as a whole or an individual switch for each one.

kmcsjr

Quote from: ACY on May 06, 2017, 10:31:17 PM
How about a toggle switch for your stalls, either all of them as a whole or an individual switch for each one.

ACY
And all with constructive suggestions. I simply would like Bachmann to continue improving DCC. They went from the 2 function decoders, to the Lenz in the EM1 and the Soundtraxx in the K4 and Berk.. The HO offerings apparently remember the sound setting. The N should as well.
The alternative is focus on new AWESOME steam (As they have been) And leave us an 8 pin socket. Replace the decoder development with lighted tenders and improve the wiring between the loco and tender. Split the price difference and folks can drop in sound or the decoder of their choice.

James
If they want to delete an honest request, from a loyal customer... I doubt they will.

Fred Klein

I'm finding this discussion fascinating because it details the exact reason why I don't buy any locomotives with factory sound. I've been around layouts that have had sound and after about 2 to 3 minutes I get really tired of it. That's why I only purchase straight DC locomotives and add my own decoder to them. I wholeheartedly agree with kmcsjr that I would much rather have more lights and a standard NMRA plug than sound. This way I can choose which decoder to install.
Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL

gatrhumpy

Replace the decoder with something that has the option to where you can shut it off.

kmcsjr

Garhumpy
Yes... eventually I will spend half what the loco cost, to replace what could have worked, just fine, if Bachmann made a better choice. I know HOWto solve the problem. It's just rediculous, that I need to. And in general, with every wire being black, decoder replacement is tedious.

spookshow

I like the way the ESU decoder works in the new Intermountain SD40-2. The normal state is for the sound to be off (F8 turns it on). Also, if current is interrupted while it's rolling along (dirty track or whatever) the sound simply cuts out for a moment and then resumes from where it left off (rather than cycling through the whole startup procedure). I wish more decoders worked that way.

-Mark

Mike C

`For steam , the Tsunami 2 is the best . But Dieseasles , the ESU Loksound full throttle decoder seams to be the best .

gatrhumpy

Quote from: kmcsjr on May 08, 2017, 06:53:14 AM
Garhumpy
Yes... eventually I will spend half what the loco cost, to replace what could have worked, just fine, if Bachmann made a better choice. I know HOWto solve the problem. It's just rediculous, that I need to. And in general, with every wire being black, decoder replacement is tedious.
They can't go back and undo time, at least not without a flux capacitor. Why complain about something you already fixed?

kmcsjr

Because I intend to buy the NEXT sound equipped steamer they release. If I don't mention it, there is no chance they review the decoder specs. If the sound doesn't change, I'm hoping they release them, without sound