Please use the option to silence locos, until user chooses to start sound!

Started by kmcsjr, May 05, 2017, 01:41:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich_S

Hi Group,
    Maybe I'm missing something, but if I press F8 on my Digitrax system, the sound is silenced on my N scale K4. Even when I turn power off, return a few days later plugging the system back in and moving the mode toggle switch to run, the sound is still silenced.  What I have found, if I clear the engine number from my active throttle, but leave the sound off, then remove the engine from the track, when the locomotive is placed back on the rail, the locomotive sound system will be enabled until I re-enter the engine number, then the sound once again is silenced.  I understand the primary point of this post is, folks want the sound to be disabled by default. I just mention this as my experience seems to be different, my Bachmann sound equipped K4 seems to remember the sound is turned off, either that or my Digitrax system remembers I turned the sound off?

Regards,
Rich S.

Mike C

spookshow

Quote from: Rich_S on May 12, 2017, 08:55:48 AM
    Maybe I'm missing something, but if I press F8 on my Digitrax system, the sound is silenced on my N scale K4. Even when I turn power off, return a few days later plugging the system back in and moving the mode toggle switch to run, the sound is still silenced.  either that or my Digitrax system remembers I turned the sound off?

I guess it varies by DCC system. For example, I have a Lenz system and when I F8 the sound off on my Bachmann SD45 and then toggle track power off and then back on, the sound on the SD45 comes back on. The handheld shows F8 still being on, so I have to turn it off and then back on again to mute the speaker once more.

-Mark

kmcsjr

Mark
I have PowerCab. MRC, other Tsunami and Paragon decoders behave IMO properly. However, if I use F8 to silence the K4 and Berk, sound comes back on if power is interrupted for any reason. What I want is, if I hit F8, the sound stays off, until the next time I hit F8. Everything else, I'm good with the decoders being different. I can't have 2/4/N locos making noise because I shorted on a turnout, or decided to use the programming track.
Bachmann and Soundtraxx confirmed that this decoder behavior is normal, for these decoders. I'm parking these 2 locos, on power routes sidings. I don't intend to buy a 3rd.
If power is applied to the track, sound starts, on these locos. That doesn't happen on any other decoder I have, until I choose to use the loco.
Isn't it central to DCC, that locos sit on your layout, until you choose to use them?

gatrhumpy

Quote from: kmcsjr on May 12, 2017, 12:05:17 AM
Because I intend to buy the NEXT sound equipped steamer they release. If I don't mention it, there is no chance they review the decoder specs. If the sound doesn't change, I'm hoping they release them, without sound
Of course they review the specs. A company like Bachmann would not release something unless it met their requirements.