News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

What shell fits.

Started by lirrman, May 06, 2017, 05:28:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lirrman

There is a seller on e-Bay offering a Spectrum chassis that runs well but has no idea what shell fits on it.  Is there any way to tell by just looking?

RAM

some time the trucks & fuel tank.

James in FL

Steam or Diesel
What type trucks?

What does the wheelbase measure?

lirrman

Its a "B" unit, 4 axles.  Long fuel tank, reaches almost to the trucks on both ends and 2 figures in the cab.  Can't tell actual wheel base.

J3a-614

Hrrumph, that could still be almost anything. . .

Let's see if we can narrow this down.

Do the trucks look like these Blomberg types (from EMD)?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blomberg_B

Or do they look something like this AAR Type B (used on a variety of units)?

https://photos.smugmug.com/UtahRails/Locomotive-Details/Locomotive-Trucks/i-V66H8w8/0/X2/aar-b_alco-ge_kcc-731_slc_dec-1983-X2.jpg

Or do they look like something else, perhaps a variation, such as this Fairbanks Morse version of the AAR type B, which has a slight curve at the bottom?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=389702&nseq=10

Or are they something completely different?

Alternately, can you post a photograph, or link a photograph, that looks something like what you have?

James in FL

QuoteIts a "B" unit, 4 axles.  Long fuel tank, reaches almost to the trucks on both ends and 2 figures in the cab.

It is not possible to be a "B" unit if there are two figures in the "cab"

lirrman

I just knew somebody would say it wasn't a "B" unit.  If you read the post you would note I indicated 4 axles, as opposed to a six axles, but you knew that.  Thanks anyway.

Len

4-axle or 6-axle isn't what differentiates an 'A' unit from a 'B'.  And 'A' unit has a cab for the engineer and fireman. A 'B' unit does not, although it may have a control stand for a yard hostler.

Here is a pic of a 4-axle F7A and F7B:

And this is a pic of a 6-axle E7A and E7B:

It would really help if you could post a pic to something like Photobucket, then link it here.
'How to' Instructions are in the FAQ at http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,30172.msg222403.html#msg222403

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jonathan

lirrman,

To answer your original question:  yes, it is very possible to tell what shell goes with the frame just by looking.  Can't tell what it is unless you show us, or at least offer a link to the photo.  That's why you're not getting much help.

Did Len's great photos help?

On most diesels, the fuel tank does stretch the length between the trucks.  Could be anything from an H16-44 to an F unit to a modern diesel.  Bachmann puts crew figures in most of their diesels.  The "Spectrum" label may be a clue, however. Not too many diesels got the Spectrum label.  Are the crew figures separated by metal frame, such that they couldn't "see" each other if they turned their heads?  Then it's the H16-44 baby trainmaster. 

We need more clues.

Nice pics, Len!

Regards,

Jonathan

ACY

A "B unit" by AAR notation would be something like an EMD Model 40, this only has two axles.
A B-B has two trucks each with 2 powered axles.

James in FL

QuotePosted by: lirrman    Posted on: May 09, 2017, 05:59:38 PM
Insert Quote
I just knew somebody would say it wasn't a "B" unit.  If you read the post you would note I indicated 4 axles, as opposed to a six axles, but you knew that.  Thanks anyway.

Really???

Well then, here's the best, and last advice, I will give to you...
Educate yourself as to the difference between an A unit and a B unit.

As Len said,
Quote4-axle or 6-axle isn't what differentiates an 'A' unit from a 'B'.  And 'A' unit has a cab for the engineer and fireman. A 'B' unit does not,
Google is your friend.

Good luck in finding a shell that fits your "B" unit.

RAM

To B or not to B.  wake up.  He said that the unit had B type trucks (4 wheels) 

Bucksco

The easiest way to solve this would be if the original poster could supply a picture of the chassis.....

James in FL

@RAM
Sorry, I don't see where the OP says his has B type trucks.
Can you place in quotes where the OP states his has "B" type trucks?
I'm not seeing the OP mentioning trucks except to say'
QuoteLong fuel tank, reaches almost to the trucks on both ends and

How then, do you explain this;
Quoteand 2 figures in the cab

Enlighten me.