News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Alco 2-6-0 "Sound Value"

Started by Warflight, May 11, 2017, 09:29:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warflight

I was just impressed today, and I wanted to share it here, because, honestly, ONLY model railroaders will get this (heaven knows the flat mate doesn't)

So, I have three Bachmann Alco 2-6-0s with Sound Value. Two are from the "Echo Valley Express" set (one I got with the set, the second was a birthday gift... both basic, and plastic) and the third is the one that you buy by itself (is it metal? It looks identical, but feels different, texture wise) All three Sound Value, and all three look IDENTICAL! (similar weights even)

But here's why I'm impressed... I set all three of them to the same address, just to hear all three horns, and bells at once... and then I decided to see how different their speeds are (because every model is a bit different, right?) so I moved them.

Here's the impressive part...

All three moved at the EXACT SAME SPEED! No differences... no having to adjust or anything.

To think... these two cheap Bachmann engines, and the one higher end engine (I'm assuming my price) and if I wanted to run all three in a consist, using the Bachmann EZ Commander, I could. (I won't, but, I could!)

I know, I know... such a silly thing and all, and probably old hat to most of you, but, I was just so impressed seeing three engines, all moving as one, not hooked to each other, just, a few inches apart, moving as one unit.

Anyway... I figured only fellow modelers would get it, and why that got me a bit excited. (and the folks over at Model Railroad Hobbyist Magazine suggested I post about it over here...  though, I figured most folks here probably already know this stuff)

jonathan

You would be surprised how many Bachmann locos move at the same speed.

I regularly double-head my locomotives to pull longer trains.  Despite whatever exterior differences you perceive in your 2-6-0s, the running mechanisms are identical.

I can mix and match my 2-8-0s, 4-8-2s, and EM1's (2-8-8-4), as they all run with the same speed characteristics.  The 2-8-4 was the same, but I sold that one.

I haven't tried putting my 2-8-2's with anything else, yet. I suspect that would work, too.

Instead of using the MU features of a DCC throttle, I program certain locos to the same address, so they can run together.

The running mechanisms of my E and F diesels are the same:  same wheel diameter, truck gears, and similar motors. So they can be mixed and matched as well.

I wouldn't recommend putting a steamer with a diesel (it happened in the real world).  A good DCC programmer could probably set speed tables to match, but that's too much effort for me.

Regards,

Jonathan

Warflight

I think what surprised me the most, is I was expecting something similar to the Bachmann locos of the 80s. I have two 4-4-0s (The Jupiter, and the #119) from the 80s... basic engines... nothing fancy... I think the price tags on the boxes was like $20 or something... and they do NOT move at the same speed. This is a sort of testament (in my opinion) on how much Bachmann has improved quality. I know there was a time... the first time I got into trains, where the shop selling the Bachmann trains would tell me "no... those aren't for serious collectors..." but now? Even their basic line... their "trains on a budget" are such high quality, that these really ARE the trains for the serious collector. (It also speaks volumes to Bachmann's integrity, that even back then... when the shops I would go to would turn their noses up at Bachmann, that Bachmann still stood behind their product)

Yeah, sure, all of my engines so far are Bachmann... I've almost bought others, but then saw something I liked, and it happened to be a Bachmann... I don't buy by brand, but by what I like, and right now, Bachmann is making what I like... but it's nice to know that there is quality behind it either way. I know that if I open that box, it's going to run, and if it doesn't, Bachmann will see to it that it does. That deserves at least a little bit of loyalty from me.

Joe323

Why would they not move together at the same speed.  Last year for reasons that I would rather not go into here I traded my Nissan Versa for the same car with more features but the same base  engine and as I would expect it was the samt to drive and handle or at least very close. I have expected that so much I did not bother test driving the new car. Just mafe sure. It had what I needed.