News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Bachmann HO announcements 2017

Started by Elnovato, May 12, 2017, 11:20:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elnovato

Bach man: Do the new 85' smoothside lighted passenger cars operate on 18in radius curves?

Bucksco

ACY

Bachmann 85 foot HO passenger cars all operate reliably only on 22" radius or greater. Ideally if you could use 24 or larger you would really improve aesthetics as well.

kirkifer

Dear Bachmann,

Thanks for producing better quality rolling stock and locomotives. For many years, I wondered why your company did not compete with Walthers or Athearn.

I have a friend, new to model railroading, and no matter how many times I told him not to use 18" radius, he insisted. He is now limited on what he can run.

Perhaps, Bachmann would consider some 60' Harrimans or some nicer versions of the Overton cars? This way, they are prototypical and people with tight radius turns can still run them.

thewizard

They run on 18" radius curves. I had an H10s pulling 2 of them reliably on EZ track, on a flat surface. I wouldn't suggest running them on 18" radius curves for a variety of reasons, but if you have to put a few 18" curves in a corner to get to a staging yard, they won't derail, probably.

If you're limited to 18" curves on your layout though, you're really better off with shorter cars.

Trainman203

Broken record...... smaller radius means shorter cars.  You can't get the Super Chief around 18"r curves.  Unless you don't mind toylike appearance and erratic operation.