News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Big Hauler Identification

Started by Benjamin Maggi, December 03, 2007, 10:22:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benjamin Maggi

Okay, I bet you guys get this type of question a lot. My wife and I fell in love with a Big Hauler train set at a train show, and am interested in finding out more about it.

It is a passenger set in the maroon Rio Grande scheme. It has the 4-6-0 with plastic side rods and no bulge on the underside of the engine. It has smoke and sound and a funnel stack, as opposted to a straight stack. I got it with 4 passenger cars, including a baggage car, a combine, a coach, and an observation car. Two were in individual boxes, and two came with the original set. But, the boxes were not labeled so I cannot be sure which cars were for the original set and which were add on. I think the observation was an add-on.

Also included were 16 curved tracks, 12 straights, two manual turnouts, and a powerpack. Also an instruction manual, smoke fluid, track connectors, the power attachment clip, and the hook and loop couplers (all the equipment had knuckle couplers. We paid $125 for the lot, which I think was a good deal. It runs great.

Can someone tell me what version of the engine we have mechanically (in case ever need to repair it), the train set's original identification number (it did not come in the original box), and the year or years it might have been produced?

Thanks, and sorry the post was so long!  :)

Steve Stockham

I believe that you may have a "second generation" Big Hauler. This version was the first one to have track power and has pretty loud gear noise. Another way to tell if this is one of the earlier models is if it has plastic handrails and grab irons. If I remember correctly, starting with the third version they added a "bump" to allow for the new gearing and they started using metal wire instead of plastic for the hand rails but it might have been the fourth version.

Mark Oles

Ben,

It sounds like you've done some homework and have realized this loco is not the newest drive train.  There is a guy on here who is compiling a list of all the sets ever made by Bachmann.  If you take a look at the online catalog, and look at the starter sets, typically, they come with a combine and an observation with the baggage car and coach being offered separately.  Not always the case, but typical.  Anyway, if something does happen to your 4-6-0, you can return it to Bachmann who will repair for a nominal fee or you could get a new D&RGW 4-6-0, like the one pictured on the home page.

Sounds like you guys are totally psyched about your new train! That's great!  Have fun!

Mark

Loco Bill Canelos

Ben,

This is the version identification scheme for the Bachmann Big Hauler 4-6-0.  It would appear you have either version 2 or 3.   From your description I believe your set may be the "Gold Rush"  Bachmann Item number 90022.  This set had a long production run.   If it is a version 2 please let me know as I have yet never seen this set with version 2

Version 2  1990-1994  Smooth Bottom Cover  You can turn wheels by hand and motor will turn                             
Version 3  1994-1998  Smooth Bottom Cover You cannot turn the drivers by hand                             
Version 4  1998-1999  Large wide hump dead center between the rear drivers on bottom cover                             
Version 5  2000-Pres  3/8th inch wide hump offset between the rear drivers and a plastic lubrication plug the size of a dime to the rear of the hump..                             
Note that the dates overlap and as of Nov 1, 2007 have not been fixed more precisely, but I believe all new sets introduced in 1999 with the VHS instructions were version 5                             
The following sets were Version 5 Chassis 90031, 90032, 90033, 90034, 90035 and 90037.  All NEW sets after 2000 also have the version 5 chassis.   

All 10 Anniversary 4-6-0's  have the version 5 chassis.

If you aquire more 4-6-0 locomotives be sure to get only the newer more reliable  Version 5 chassis.

Most of all enjoy your new train set!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Benjamin Maggi

Thanks for all the replies. I have seen the posted website for years, but enver thought I would be getting a Big Hauler. I was hoping that we might have purchased a later version, but it pulls well now without noise. As long as it can haul its own 4 cars without stripping gears, I will be happy. When I finally get my garden laid out, it will be completely grade free... which will also prolong the life of the engine.

Thanks again.

Benjamin Maggi

I checked when I got home, and the wheels do not turn without power, so I think I have a version #2 of the engine. By the way, if something does happen and it needs maintenance, do they put in parts from the new mechanism or they have a pile of parts from version #2s to use? Are they interchangable?

altterrain

If something does happen to it, hopefully it will be within the warranty period. Then you can send it into Bachmann and maybe they will send you back a version 5.

-Brian
President of

Loco Bill Canelos

Ben,
If the wheels don't turn by hand it is a Version 3.   Be sure to lube it every three months or so, if you use it a lot, more often if the weather is hot.

From my experience it is up to Bachmann how they go about repair.  Generally they will do the repair at the lowest possible labor cost.   They do not maintain a supply of parts for the older stuff, so chances are good that you would get the newer chassis.

Be sure to send in your warranty card and keep your receipt.  I suggest you make a copy of the warranty card and staple the receipt to it and put it in the set box.

Good luck with your outdoor railroad plans, and remember don't use the Bachmann set track outdoors.  
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!