News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Tracks is Tracks?

Started by gopher94, December 03, 2007, 11:19:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gopher94

I am very new to train modeling.  I just ordered my first G scale train set and was wondering if G track is G scale track or should you stay with a single manufacturer.
Please advise

Mark Oles

Gopher94,

Not all track is created equal.  Brass, Aluminum and Stainless steel rail are offered by a variety of manufacturers.  Recommendations are tough because I don't know what you plan to run or how you plan to run it.  I use track power and have had great success with Stainless Steel, as offered by Aristocraft.  However, when I was just a throw it on the floor guy, brass LGB track was really better.  Aristo has screws that are required to make good electrical contact.  LGB's slip joiners will do OK for temporary lines.

If you are planning to use battery power, there's no need for the added expense of stainless.  Battery powered locomotives don't care what they run on, so long as the gauge is 45mm.

I don't have first hand experience, but Bachmann track from starter sets is only appropriate for indoors.

Mark

Kevin Strong

Track from LGB, Aristo-Craft, and USA Trains is all interchangeable. The el-cheapo track that came with the Bachmann train set (I'm assuming it's Bachmann, since you're posting here) isn't good for much more than under the Christmas tree. There are other manufacturers out there, but if you're just getting started, then stick with those three for sectional track.

Later,

K