News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Doodlebug

Started by PEANUTS, December 24, 2016, 01:26:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PEANUTS

What sound did the Doodlebug make; consequently, what sound decoder would be appropriate. Cheers, PEANUTS, Merry Christmas from Brisbane, Au

RGPerkins

If you have access to YouTube, you will find videos of Doodlebugs models with sound decoders installed.
The one that came through my home village in central Illinois was called the Puddle Jumper.  ;)

brokemoto

Here is a PRR on Youtube CxvOOfgDUW0

The horn, the bell and the dingy fences drown out the sound of the motor, but it will suggest a few other videos to watch.

Here is one in Australia rGqUMijRk5E

ACY

Your links don't work.
I don't think sound for a doodlebug is the best investment, basically it would only be for the bell as the doodlebug was similar to electric engines as while they ran there was no sound to speak of except for the horn or bell.

brokemoto

You can hear the gasolene engine on the Australian doodlebug.  Some of them had diesel engines.   The PRR doodlebug does seem to have more horn and bell noise than anything else, though.  Even when the dingy fences go off, you can not hear the engine too much.   RDCs make more engine noise.

RGPerkins

With all due respect, I like sound [even for n-scale].  My love of trains and railroads started in the early 1940s; my family lived in a second story apartment above their general store. The store was immediately across the street from the B&O depot in my home village, thus that was my first mode for train travel.  I have a few of the Bachmann doodlebugs; two with dcc.  I have not had sound installed yet.  ;)

PEANUTS

Thankyou all for your worthwhile comments.  Peanuts

PEANUTS

Quote from: PEANUTS on December 24, 2016, 01:26:08 AM
What sound did the Doodlebug make; consequently, what sound decoder would be appropriate. Cheers, PEANUTS, Merry Christmas from Brisbane, Au
;
A friend in my Club has just installed ESU Loksound with GE Cat-44, is very realistic