News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Alco 2-6-0 DCC w/Soundtraxx or Bluetooth

Started by JoMc67, June 05, 2017, 04:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoMc67

Hello,

I'm thinking of getting one or the other (DCC Soundtraxx vs Bluetooth) for my Basic DC Layout...

My DC layout is just a 3'x5' of Oval Track using Bachmann's New E-Z Tracks (Grey), but using Bachmann's older style Transformer (Black w/red Switch from the 90's) that I got from a Train Kit.

Now, some questions: If I get one or the other Train how will it work on my Basic DC Layout...What Sounds will I hear when I turn on Controller and use Forward/Reverse (just basic Chuffs & Puffs, but no Bells & Whistles)...-Or- will I need the better Bachmann DCC Controller (the one w/different functions and numbers 1-10) to accomplish all sounds (for either DCC Soundtraxx or Bluetooth).

Any additional info would be appreciated...
Joe

ACY

Quote from: JoMac67 on June 05, 2017, 04:16:42 PM
Now, some questions: If I get one or the other Train how will it work on my Basic DC Layout...What Sounds will I hear when I turn on Controller and use Forward/Reverse (just basic Chuffs & Puffs, but no Bells & Whistles)...-Or- will I need the better Bachmann DCC Controller (the one w/different functions and numbers 1-10) to accomplish all sounds (for either DCC Soundtraxx or Bluetooth).
The EZ-APP (Bluetooth) only works if you have a compatible device (iphone, ipad, android phone or tablet) and the sound comes from the phone or tablet not from the locomotive or anywhere on the layout. This requires 16 volts constantly applied to the layout to function but can be either a digital or analog signal.
If the locomotive has Bachmann's Sound Value decoder then you would not be able to control any sound effects without a DCC system, whether that be the Dynamis, EZ-Command or some other system. If you wanted to be able to toggle the bell and whistle you would not be able to use a basic DC controller. With an advanced DCC system (not the EZ-Command) you can however program the bell, whistle and other sound effects to go off automatically at a certain voltage or with a sharp voltage spike or drop.
Some Bachmann sound locomotives only run with a DCC system and attempting to run it on DC will damage the locomotive. This is usually noted on the box or in the paperwork if this is the case. In this instance a DCC system would be absolutely necessary.
You didn't specify which locomotives you were considering purchasing.

And by the better Bachmann DCC controller do you mean the Dynamis or EZ-Command?

JoMc67

Hello ACY, and thanks for the reply...

Ok, I like to get the Bachmann ALCO 2-6-0 w/DCC Sound Value...Yes, the better controller I was thinking is the E-Z Command.

Yes, I know wont be able to control any functions with my Analog DC Controller, but thought I would at least get the basic Chuffs & Puffs during Accel or Steam at Idle (no control over Bells & Whistles as you noted unless a DCC Controller)...
However, you also did mention that it could damage my Train if I kept the DC Controller, and to your suggestion, will probably get the E-Z Command Controller anyways...Thou, I thought someone did mention that the Bachmann Sound Value Trains (not the upscale Spectrum DCC w/Tsunami) is compatible with DC or DCC (you just can't use the added Bells & Whistles without a DCC Controler).

Now, in the saying the above...What I really like to have is the Train go around the Track using the standard Chuffs & Puffs, but automagically use the Bell or Whistle at a certain part of track...This way, I can walk away and here the Chuffs & Puffs, and a quick note of a Bell or Whistle when it makes a complete run around the track.

ACY

Sorry I didn't notice on your title you were asking about the ALCO 2-6-0. In that case the sound decoder is the Sound Value and those are dual mode an can be operated on analog DC.
The only way you can program the automatic bell and whistle is with the Bachmann Dynamis DCC system, the Bachmann E-Z Command is not capable of any advanced programming.

JoMc67

Ok, and thanks again for the info...

Yeah, will probably upgrade to the Dynamis DCC System in the future (fairly expensive), and will just go with the the E-Z Command for now.

DCCDon

Try to save up and go DCC the difference in operation is worth the cost if you can afford it. Hope you enjoy the 2-6-0 Alco as much as I am having in repairing one for my use.
Bachmann 2-8-0/TCS Wow! Sound, two Bachmann Saddle Tank 0-6-0's with DCC and in parts 2-6-0 Alco Sound Value/TsunamiTraxx

JoMc67

Ok, I ended up getting a used newer style Bachmann DC Controller (my Older Style DC Controller from the 90' didn't work as the 2-6-0 Didn't move or make Sound), and it works pretty good giving my Engine Movement & Sound (Lights, Huffs & Chuffs, Bells, idle Steam, etc) depending on Speed...However, I have to make sure the Controller starts off at around 25% Power (not less) in order to get the Engine moving w/ different Sounds (or just stationary w/Steam release Sound).

Yes, originally I was thinking of getting the Bachmann DCC Controller for added control over different Sound Functions, but didn't think it necessary for a single Train on a 3x5 size Track...I will never use more then one Train or have or a bigger layout (pretty much a X-Mas Train around Tree).

Overall, I'm happy with the decision I made.

Now, I just need a way to give my Train Smoke Option in order to complete the package...This will be the more complicated project.

Warflight

I ended up getting the Echo Valley set from Amazon... it was $186 (still is) which was less than buying the 2-6-0 by itself (though I did buy one by itself anyway) and it came with more EZ track, the loco, and the DCC controller... and I love every minute of it!

I have run the sound value engines on both DCC, and DC, and though the sound is great in DC, it's a whole new world with DCC. If all you're doing is a train around a tree, then the Bachmann DCC Commander (controller) is perfect. It's easy to use, easy to hook up (just hooks up like the DC controller) and just plain easy all around. Is it limited? Sure... but it's not like you're using it to run a railroad empire. It has what you would ever want for what you're describing as your railroading needs, and then some.

Joe323

Do not just limit yourself to Bachmann Products (No offense Mr. B) consider other DCC systems like NCE powercab or digitrax Zypher.  All Dcc decoders that  are NMRA compliant should work with any system.