News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Install sound in 45 ton diesel

Started by jrl2442, June 07, 2017, 04:16:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrl2442

Intending to purchase and convert to On30 with sound.  Since DCC is already OEM, is there an 8-pin connector for a sound modul

Hints about sound installation?

Thank you

Jim

RBDNHM

I see no replies, and I am no model train expert, so I will step in the puddle.  How do you convert an H0 45 Ton diesel model to an ON30 model without using a new body? I thought the only thing common between ON30 and H0 was the wheels/trucks?  In any event adding sound to 45 Ton Bachmann Switcher is possible using existing speaker mount and a very small replacement decoder, but even then wires and decoder are squished.

RAM

He is just wanting to install sound into a ON30.

jrl2442

Yes, there will be a new body based on an article I just discovered in a past On30 Annual.  Actually, I just discovered On30 Annuals and have found them to be full of excellent information for those of us who still want to build models but no longer have the eyes for HO.

The new body will make space a non-issue.  I am not much-talented when it comes to things electronic which is why I was in hopes that there is an 8-pin socket inside the 45-ton engine.  Have scoured the internet and am finding no information about how an install is actually done.   My unit will arrive next week, so at that point I will have a better idea what I am in for.

I have seen the LokSound seems to be the preferrred decoder, partly because of the size and partly due to the option to download the accurate sounds of catapillar diesels.

Still grateful for any additional help from anyone out there.

Life goes on.

RBDNHM

Existing decoder board can be snipped and has holes to solder wires from new decoder, but no plug.

Mike Kieran

Train Master's TV does a video on how to install DCC/Sound on a Bachmann 45 tonner in HO. An On30 body on it might be an easier installation.
To enquiring friends: I have troubles today that I had not yesterday. I had troubles yesterday which I have not today. On this site will be built a bigger, better, Steeplechase Park. Admission to the burning ruins - 10cents. -  George C. Tilyou, owner of Steeplechase Park in Coney Island.

jrl2442

mike, thank you so much for the referral to train master tv.   did not know there was such a resource.   $7 for a month of videos, especially when there is one focused on pretty much exactly what i intend to do is a deal.

so very happy that i don't have to squeeze everything back into the tiny HO body.......  i envy those of you whose eyes are still good enough to see HO.

life goes on