News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

SPECTRUM 4-8-2 LT MTN

Started by breezy8, June 11, 2017, 05:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

breezy8

I HAVE A HO  4-8-2 LT MTN loco Item # 81601, that after running a while,it just stops moving.  The DCC decoder still works(sound) but it trys to move( with finger push) about an inch , then stops again, and repeats, ect, ect, ect..... It is like the gear is slipping on the shaft or something...Any ideas????  I was pulling 11 cars on a FREE MO layout.  not a big load....Any help would be great....BREEZY8

jonathan

The Spectrum mountains have a drive belt that connects the motor shaft to the worm gear.  It is possible your drive belt has split.  I have 8 Spectrum locos with a drive belt.  I have had to replace belts in two of them.

Belts are listed in the parts department.  They are popular items so they are not always in stock.

Just a thought.

Regards,

Jonathan

breezy8

Thanks Jonathan. Does anyone know where to find these drive  belts??  I have looked on Bachman's site and they do not show any...wouldn't you know??  Even if it is something else, I feel I do need a few just in case...Thanks so much.....breezy8

jonathan

Open the "order parts" tab, under the "Parts, Service & Information" tab above.

There is a search block in the upper right.  Type in "belt".  Heavy and Light mountain belt are same same.

Regards,

Jonathan

breezy8

Thanks Jonathon, Got it. I have 3 ordered...LOL...BREEZY8

Warflight

It might not be the drive belt. I had the exact same issue with mu 2-8-0 Connie (which, internally, has a similar construction) and the issue ended up being the gear on the motor itself. The plastic in some older models was a bit substandard, and the gear would shrink, and crack close to the shaft. The solution given was to replace the entire motor assembly, however, I found a different solution. The gear sits flush with the flywheel, and I figured, if they were sealed together, the problem would be solved. So a tiny drop of CA glue on the gear (using a small sewing pin) sealing it to the flywheel solved the issue. It's been three months now of heavy use, and it's still running strong!

My theory was this... if I screwed it up, I would have to replace the motor assembly, but if I didn't try my solution, I would be replacing the motor assembly anyway... so it was a win win, either way.