increasing rolling resistance for bachmann trucks

Started by jrl2442, June 23, 2017, 11:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrl2442

anybody experimented with increasing the rolling resistance on stock trucks?   free-rolling trucks are a headache for uncoupling with kadee magnets, plus, i'd like to hear the engine strain just a bit to move a loaded car.    i have put a piece of 0.015 piano wire through the truck bolster which then pressures the axles a bit but wonder if there is a better way.

also, do the kadee On30 wheels change rolling characteristics one way or the other?

thanks

jim
atlanta

regbarron@icloud.com

I have experimented with a tiny bit of tissue in a side frame bearing hole, and a tiny washer in the same spot.  It was a while ago.  You need to increase drag, but not inhibit the wheel from turning.  Also consider wheels with blunt axles.

Reg Barron

p51

I don't think I'd increase resistance within the moving parts to simulate a heavier car. Instead, I'd just add more weight to the car itself, especially as Bachmann On30 cars tend to be pretty light.
Don't forget, even with a fully loaded car, once you get it rolling on level track, a car can actually be pushed by a few people or a forklift.
-Lee