EZ Command Walk-Around Companion

Started by Warflight, July 09, 2017, 06:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warflight

Okay, so... weird question, and maybe the Bach-Man, or someone else could answer it...

I recently got hold of the EZ Command Walk-Around Companion from eBay (finding one of these things is NOT an "EZ" task!) I'm really enjoying it, don't get me wrong, but, I noticed that some of the function buttons are... well... even more limited than the EZ Command itself.

Buttons 6 (F6) 7 (F7) and 8 (F8) can be used to select a loco, but, cannot be used in function mode (I have a few Digitrax equipped locos that have sounds on those functions)

Now, at first I thought it might be a malfunction, but then I read the instructions (which, contrary to popular belief, I *DID* read before installing) and a part that didn't make sense in the instructions made more sense to me. It wasn't a malfunction, it was designed that way.

The instructions read as follows: "Additional programming functions transferred to the Companion are limited to functions F1, F2, F3, F4, and F10 (lights)"

Now, this is just fine with my "Sound Value" engines, as they don't really have much after those first four buttons plus lights anyway (bell is F1, whistle is F2, short whistle of F3, and steam release of F4, and other than F6 to dim the lights, and F8 to mute, there's nothing more to see there) However, other decoders it's a bit of a bummer, as I really like using the thing... I have it connected to a panel in the layout (Oh yeah... for those who know me, I built a layout in my absence from this board)

So my question is... "why?"

Why are those buttons limited? (why isn't that in the advertising... never mind that question...)

I'm curious if it was a programming issue? Or what the deal was?

Does anyone know? Maybe the Bach-Man can ask someone, if he doesn't already know?

Again... I'm not dissatisfied with it... i love the thing... I'm just really curious as to why the limitations? (the emergency "Stop" button doesn't do anything either, nor can you assign a loco with the Companion)

The curiosity is REALLY going to bug me! (I will have to assume that because it was designed that way, there is no fix either... like "Hey kids! You know what's better than a limited controller? One even MORE limited! w00t!")

My apologies for the snark there... I really am kinda laughing over it... and I would buy another Walk-Around Companion if I found one.

WoundedBear

Do you think Bachmann really cared if it worked with Digitrax decoders? As long as it worked with Bachmann products, all was fine.

Sid

Warflight

Oh, sure... understandable, but, doesn't really answer the question, and as I pointed out, you can't assign a loco, or dim the lights of a Bachmann loco with it.