Running Bachmann trains under 220v conditions

Started by olokun, July 12, 2017, 03:53:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

olokun

I'm living in Thailand and I brought my Bachmann trains with me.  Do I need a transformer so I don't fry my trains?  If I do, what kind of transformer should I buy?

ebtnut

You can get travel power converters that drop the voltage from 220 to 110.  I've used one on my overseas trips.  They should be sufficient to power a trainset power pack. 

olokun

Should this converter do the job, Mode B?

Product details of 3PCS 100W Power Converter Adapter AC 110V/120V to 220V/240V Up Down Volt Transformer - intl

Description:

Dual Channel Voltage Converter from 110/120V to 220/240V, 220/240V to 110/120V
Just plug it into the foreign outlet, then plug your appliance into the female side of the converter, and use your appliance just as you would at home
For all electronice equipments up to 100 Watt. Such as hairdryers, coffee cup heaters, coffee makers, irons, clothes steamers, stereo and cassette players, DVD players, radios, electric shavers, cameras, and any other small appliances
SIZE : 90mm x 52mm x 45mm (connect leg not included to measure)
Weight: about 420g

How to use:
Turn the switch to AC117V for mode A, Turn the switch to AC230V for mode B
Mode A:
Input : AC110-120V 50/60Hz
Output : AC220-240V 100W
Mode B:
Input : AC220-240V 50/60Hz
Output : AC110-120V 100W
Note: Check you voltage and switch to the right size bofore use

Trainman203

Here's what you don't want to happen :

Model Railroader No.  1: "I'm starting the train."
Model Railroader No.  2:  "Does your engine have a smoke unit?"
Model Railroader No.  1:  "No."

😮😱😂

olokun

I agree, Trainman 203, wholeheartedly, should this converter solve that problem, Mode B?

Product details of 3PCS 100W Power Converter Adapter AC 110V/120V to 220V/240V Up Down Volt Transformer - intl

Description:

Dual Channel Voltage Converter from 110/120V to 220/240V, 220/240V to 110/120V
Just plug it into the foreign outlet, then plug your appliance into the female side of the converter, and use your appliance just as you would at home
For all electronice equipments up to 100 Watt. Such as hairdryers, coffee cup heaters, coffee makers, irons, clothes steamers, stereo and cassette players, DVD players, radios, electric shavers, cameras, and any other small appliances
SIZE : 90mm x 52mm x 45mm (connect leg not included to measure)
Weight: about 420g

How to use:
Turn the switch to AC117V for mode A, Turn the switch to AC230V for mode B
Mode A:
Input : AC110-120V 50/60Hz
Output : AC220-240V 100W
Mode B:
Input : AC220-240V 50/60Hz
Output : AC110-120V 100W
Note: Check you voltage and switch to the right size bofore use

Joe Satnik

Hi, olokun.

Yes, Mode B should work (if reviews from previous buyers say that the transformers work and continue to work).

You may have to use an adapter to connect the input side of the transformer to your 220 Volt wall socket.

Can you give a link that contains pictures of the transformer ?

Thanks.

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Joe Satnik

Hey, you're welcome.

Should work with switch to the "B" position.

Doing a little research on Thailand power, it seems they have outlets that can accept North and South American 2- or 3-prong-plugs

but give 220 Volts out the hot terminal !!

Yikes !!!.

A lot of smoke for unaware travelers from the Americas !

It looks like the converter transformer input plug should fit your wall socket, since it has a N.A. style 2-prong-plug.

Then, to be safe....

Do you (or a friend) have a Volt-meter and know how to use it, or do you know an electrician that can measure the output Voltage of your converter transformer

before you plug in the Bachmann power pack? 

The converter transformer output should read between 110 and 125 Volts AC. 

After that has been confirmed, you should be able to safely plug in your Bachmann 120V power pack.

You can also put a piece of tape over the A/B switch in the "B" position so as not to move it by mistake.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

olokun

Excellent suggestions all, thanks again!  But just another question:  what kind of light oil should I/should I not buy for train lubrication?  Do I need a grease?  Much appreciated!

Joe Satnik

That's another topic. This would be a good time to put up a new post / new question, so others can find it.

Joe