A correction is needed on the HO-SCALE N.C. 4-4-0 .

Started by TJ, July 23, 2017, 12:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ

Being that I once resided CANANDAIGUA,NY , I have the book on the NC -The NORTHERN CENTRAL Railway A correction should be made on the BACHMANN'S current run of the HO-SCALE NORTHERN CENTRAL 4-4-0 the N.C. RR should read as N.C.RY. .  Second is there any chance of producing the NC RRR 4-4-0 IN N-SCALE?

TJ aka Tom

brokemoto

In 2013, Atlas released its N scale eight wheeler in Northern Central.  The tender on that one reads NCRR.   The Pennsylvania got control of the Northern Central right around the beginning of the Civil War.

Hurricane Agnes washed out most of the railroad in 1972, by which time Penn Central had been bankrupt, so it could not afford to replace it.  Some track around Baltimore exists and part of the Baltimore trolley line runs on it.

I have one of the Atlas issues.  I run it with either the Athearn/MDC Overtons or, if a freight, with an Athearn PRR caboose.  Neither are accurate either for PRR or Northern Central, but that is what is out there.  I do not know if anyone sells decals for Northern Central.  I have not seen any.  The paint schemes on the Athearn/MDC passenger cars are not accurate for the era, either, but that is what is out there.

If I compare that Atlas issue to the B-mann latest issue (in the plastic box) my experience is:

1.  B-mann wins on reliability.  It stalls less frequently.  Do keep in mind that you should operate neither on plastic frog switches.  The things are just too small and will lose proper contact.

2.  B-mann wins on pulling power.

3.  Atlas wins on appearance.  The B-mann is an upgraded, but older design, hence some of the details are a bit clunky looking.  Most of the upgrades that B-mann has done to its involve mechanical upgrades.  Which brings us to....................

4.  Atlas wins on smooth running (as long as it maintains contact, that is, see #1).  B-mann has upgraded its version of this.  If you compare the latest version (plastic box) to the earlier versions, there is a markéd difference.  Still, there is a bit of a wobble in the B-mann that is not present in the Atlas.  The Atlas slow speed is a little better (when the Atlas keeps contact, that is, see #1).  Mind you, the B-mann slow speed control is still good, but the Atlas is slightly better.

You should use metal frog switches if you plan to run either of these (or the Atlas 2-6-0).  All three are small, so they will not maintain contact as reliably as will larger power.

Piyer

Quote from: the Bach-man on July 24, 2017, 12:03:36 AM
Dear Tom,

http://www.trainweb.org/chris/htnf.html

Any questions?

the Bach-man

I believe that both Tom and the Bach-man are correct. Yes, the modern tourist railroad uses the Northern Central Railroad name, but yes, Northern Central Railway is the proper name for railroad from the mid-1800s up until the Penn Central bankruptcy in 1974. As you can see in this legal document ( http://law.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/FSupp/382/821/2596977/, the full official names of its component companies are given, and the Northern Central was still a "railway" then.

The Northern Central Railroad name could be as a result of the Northern Central Railway still existing on paper - although Penn Central exited the railroad business in 1976, it continued to exist as a company largely focused on its real estate holdings. The Northern Central might, likewise, still exist as a property owner.

~AJ Kleipass~
Proto-freelance modeling the Tri-State System c.1942
The layout is based upon the operations of the Delaware Valley Railway,
the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern,
the Middletown & Unionville, and the New York, Ontario & Western.

Bucksco

The model is decorated to represent the New Freedom replica so for all intents and purposes it is correct.