Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-8-4 Berkshire ok over Hornby points?

Started by Berkshire81, July 27, 2017, 04:56:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkshire81

Hello,

My first post :)

I was hoping someone could help me with the issue of if the Berkshire HO scale loco is able to transverse the standard Hornby points?

I live I Australia and have bought most of the Hornby track I need. Its quite expensive here and I'm keen to buy the Berkshire and possibly the Light Mikado.

I'll.post a picture of the inner section of my layout (anyrail only let's you have 50 pieces of track) with the sidings. The outer loop isn't shown but is a simple oval.

I'm hoping to get some thoughts if the Berkshire will be able to.back into my two sidings. Trains run clockwise.

Thank you so much for your help :)

jonathan

Welcome B81!

In comparison to other steam locomotives, my Berkshire was quite reliable when moving through turnouts.  That being said...

My only experience with Hornby has been their small turnouts that appear to have quite a short divergent rate, something along the lines of a #4 turnout with other brands of track.  That would probably be too tight for the berk and too tight for the Mikado.  Does Hornby make longer turnouts I am unaware of? If so, you'll want to use the longer turnouts.  I use #6 turnouts off the main line and smaller turnouts in the yard areas.

The Berkshire runs reliably on curves with 22 inch radius or larger.  Sorry, I don't know the metric equivalent. I think you'll have a tough time keeping the berk on the rails through small turnouts.

Regards,

Jonathan

Berkshire81

You got my hopes up there!!

I did just come across this video. If you go to 3:27 you'll see the Bachmann Mikado reverse across the EZE - Track points which look like they are as tight as the Hornby ones?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-KYhASqTuDM

I think the Hornby ones are rated 2nd radius.

Len

If your Berk gets around the R2 curves on the loop, the turnouts in themselves shouldn't be a problem. What may be a problem backing is the double 'S' curve between the upper turnout and the curves to it's right. Going forward on the loop there's only one 'S' curve there, but when the R612 is set to diverge, and you're backing, there are two back-to-back.

If there's any way to shift the turnout even a half-straight to the left, it would help.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

kewatin

sir why not try the UK HORNBY forum, of which there are several, you will probably get a better reply to your question. as i model in n scale my berks have never had a an issue ,as i use kato #6 switches.definately had problems with the old layout ,using #4 s in the yards. hope you get the answer to your questions and have a good day.
regards&later kewatin

Berkshire81

Quote from: Len on July 27, 2017, 08:05:58 AM
If your Berk gets around the R2 curves on the loop, the turnouts in themselves shouldn't be a problem. What may be a problem backing is the double 'S' curve between the upper turnout and the curves to it's right. Going forward on the loop there's only one 'S' curve there, but when the R612 is set to diverge, and you're backing, there are two back-to-back.

If there's any way to shift the turnout even a half-straight to the left, it would help.

Len

Hello.Len,

I'm sorry I just realised that this was a bit odd an older pic from the other day. Ive straightened that curve out now, and will use flex track for the outer loop.to get rid of that race track look!

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

Quote from: jonathan on July 27, 2017, 07:20:31 AM
Welcome B81!

In comparison to other steam locomotives, my Berkshire was quite reliable when moving through turnouts.  That being said...

My only experience with Hornby has been their small turnouts that appear to have quite a short divergent rate, something along the lines of a #4 turnout with other brands of track.  That would probably be too tight for the berk and too tight for the Mikado.  Does Hornby make longer turnouts I am unaware of? If so, you'll want to use the longer turnouts.  I use #6 turnouts off the main line and smaller turnouts in the yard areas.

The Berkshire runs reliably on curves with 22 inch radius or larger.  Sorry, I don't know the metric equivalent. I think you'll have a tough time keeping the berk on the rails through small turnouts.

Regards,

Jonathan

A Hornby R2 curve is roughly a 20" radius as a Hornby R1 curve is about 18" radius. I personally have had my Bachmann Berk around 18" radius curves and standard Atlas turnouts which are roughly a #4 turnout but shorter in length with no issues. Even had my Berk around a bend that was flex track that was set at my estimate a 15" or 16" radius curve with no problems when running with the engine and tender coupled long.

Berkshire81

Thank you for your help.

This does sound a lot more positive. Its just that I bought the Hornby points and its a lot of money to lose I'd the Berk cant negotiate the curves.

I was actually looking at the Atlas turnouts myself.

You have no issues running DCC Locos over them?

Berkshire81

Well I feel so stupid!

After doing a bit more reasearxh I've found Peco Code SL-91 and SL-92 which are a much more gentle turn out than the Hornby track (184mm compared to 168mm) and is made in insulfrog type which is what I wanted because I'm a novice.

A very expensive lesson learnt!

The only problem being is that you have to play around with flex track to get the track parallel and then add rail joiners.

At least I won't need to put up with derailments.

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

Quote from: Berkshire81 on July 28, 2017, 01:38:24 AM
Thank you for your help.

This does sound a lot more positive. Its just that I bought the Hornby points and its a lot of money to lose I'd the Berk cant negotiate the curves.

I was actually looking at the Atlas turnouts myself.

You have no issues running DCC Locos over them?

Yes I have no issues with running DCC engines over Atlas turnouts as I use only Atlas track and all my engines are DCC or DCC sound equipped and I have only had problems with derailments on the turnouts when the track work itself was uneven. Though in my defense my layout at the time was made on a 1X3 frame with white Styrofoam as the base. Not the most stable material to run trains on with no plywood below it I will tell you that. Had to put my hand under the train board to keep the track level or trains would derail just coming out of the turn onto the front of the layout.