News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann southern 722 280 green

Started by old82, August 03, 2017, 06:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old82

Hi, I recently was given a Bachmann southern 722 green spectrum. I am trying to find out if it is dcc on board or dcc ready. It runs great if I set it up on 10 on my dcc controller , but will not respond to any other number. Light comes on. I hate to tear into it without knowing more about it. If it is dcc ready, what do I need to update it to dcc with sound? I am new at this so don't be to hard om me.
Thanks for any info.

Flare

If it's the same model available in Bachmann's online store, it has a dual-mode decoder.  (Meaning it will run in DCC or analog mode)

It's possible that the person who had it before you changed the default address, in which case you'll have to reset the decoder to get the factory address of 03.

RAM

If 10 is what you use to run DC locomotives, than I would say it is DC ready.  The tender shell is easy to take off.

old82

Thanks for the info. How do I reset the decoder to o3? I tried using the method used to reset the decoder but no luck. I will try again. I may have done something wrong.
Thanks Again for the help

jonathan

It's easy to check in the tender to see how your loco is set up.

There is a screw just behind the front truck on the tender.  Once that is removed, you can lift the front of the tender shell and the rear tabs should be able to release for the last step.

Then you can look at the electronics inside.  There will be either a decoder attached to the socket (DCC), or a plug, with six pins, that operates the loco in DC.

If there is a decoder, someone has changed the address, and you'll need a DCC system that is able to read and reset the decoder back to factory "O3".

Regards,

Jonathan

old82

Thanks Jonathan, I will give that a try. Where can I get a DCC system unit  that can change the decoder. 

Flare

The internet probably has the best prices for one.

Bachmann's Dynamis, NCE's Power Cab, or Digitrax's Zephyr Xtra would be the three I'd consider.

If you plan to run your trains with a local club, ask them which system they use so you won't have to convert later.