News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

ho universal led 10091-ww

Started by guy57, October 27, 2017, 09:35:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guy57

I picked up some leds from Bachmann that are universal, but haven't found any specs on them in regards to voltage and color coding on the wiring, hookup info. Any help? the wires are yellow and white

jonathan

For LEDs in general:

I use a 9V battery, and 1K ohm resistor on the negative pole, to test the LEDs.  Testing the LED, in this case, will also tell you which lead in the positive (+) one.

If you are replacing an LED in a Bachmann locomotive, there is likely resistor hard wired into the PCB.  But you should put eyes on the resistor on the board, just to make sure.

The board will also have (+/-) marking for the headlight wires.  From there, you will have to trace the wiring back to the headlight to ensure the color-coding, if any, matches back to the headlight.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Jonathan

dutchbuilder

A new LED has a long lead and a short lead.
The long one is +
generic led voltage is 1.5V and consumes 0.02 Ampere.
That said , colour emitting  leds have different voltage per colour.

Ton

guy57

thanks guys, but this is from the BACHMANN catalog and says its universal for ho......no other info....still looking to find specs. hooked it up to my variable power supply and got nothing

dutchbuilder

If you hooked it up to your power supply without a resistor it probably has died already.
A LED is a LED regardless brand.
you always have to use a resistor.
I usually use 1 Kilo Ohm colourcode brown black red or 102

Ton

guy57

that explains it explicitly, i will proceed with caution next time, thanks everyone for your submissions......Guy