News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ track isolators

Started by RedlegJim, August 11, 2017, 02:47:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedlegJim

I've been looking into doing a reverse loop. I have easy track on my layout. All the videos I've seen on YouTube indicate that I need to isolate the loop. Some of them show plastic inserts to use as rail joiners. I don't know if that could work with EZ rack. Does anyone have experience doing a reverse loop with EZ track?

Flare

My E-Z Track layout has two reverse loops.

I tried replacing the rail joiners with the plastic ones, but that resulted in ruined track for the most part.  (Those metal ones are REALLY on there)

What I found worked much better was cutting tie-length gaps in the rails with a razor saw, then filling the gap with styrene I-beams that are the same height as the rails.  (This prevents the rails from creeping back together over time)

You can paint the styrene sections silver with enamel-based paint to match the rails and super glue will hold them in place.

Terry Toenges

I agree with doing it Flare's way. Even if you are successful in removing the metal joiners, the plastic joiners are thicker than the metal ones. I've had to cut away a little of the tie under the rail to get them to fit.
Feel like a Mogul.

RAM

The old way was to just cut the rail.

Hunt

Removing the E-Z Track metal rail joiner and replacing with insulated (plastic) rail joiner can be done but is most challenging.  Cutting an isolating gap in rails is easier for most people.  Gap does not need to be as wide as Flare wrote he uses.

Never cut gap in rail without wearing proper eye protection.

Cut gap in rail and fill the gap with small piece of styrene coated with CA to hold it place.  After CA has cured, trim the styrene to match the rail profile. Be sure to remove CA residue from the inside and top of the railhead.

The gap can be made with Dremel  cut-off wheel , track razor saw, or using whatever tool  you are comfortable using. The Dremel fiberglass reinforced cut-off wheel is more durable but make a thicker cut than some of the other Dremel wheel type cutters. All the mentioned tools make a gap much wider than necessary for electrical isolation.  A 1-1/4" Fiberglass Reinforced Cut-Off Wheel cuts a gap about 0.045 inch wide.

Click Here to view  a segment from a Bachmann video. It includes the Bachmann Power Terminal with Insulated Gap track you can buy  if you do not want to make what is required to use a Reverse Loop.

Piyer

Quote from: Hunt on August 11, 2017, 08:04:22 PM
Yardmaster,
What is Bachmann Trains' recommended method to remove E-Z Track metal rail joiner?

Blow torch....

~AJ Kleipass~
Proto-freelance modeling the Tri-State System c.1942
The layout is based upon the operations of the Delaware Valley Railway,
the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern,
the Middletown & Unionville, and the New York, Ontario & Western.

Flare

Quote from: Hunt on August 11, 2017, 07:58:01 PM
Gap does not need to be as wide as Flare wrote he uses.   

True, but I find it's easier to cut the I-beam to the proper length when I can eyeball the ties in the track, and the larger piece is easier to handle and maneuver into place than thin ones.

Quote from: Piyer on August 11, 2017, 08:13:34 PM
Quote from: Hunt on August 11, 2017, 08:04:22 PM
Yardmaster,
What is Bachmann Trains' recommended method to remove E-Z Track metal rail joiner?

Blow torch....

LOL!!!

Jhanecker2

To  RedlegJim :  there is a gapped  HO 9inch straight piece of  NS gray Easy track available  that is made to use with reversing  loops . Please check in the Bachmann Web store for particlars .   John2.

NarrowMinded

Quote from: RedlegJim on August 11, 2017, 02:47:45 PM
I've been looking into doing a reverse loop. I have easy track on my layout. All the videos I've seen on YouTube indicate that I need to isolate the loop. Some of them show plastic inserts to use as rail joiners. I don't know if that could work with EZ rack. Does anyone have experience doing a reverse loop with EZ track?
I posted this a while back, this works with any size ez track,
1.get close cut nippers
2.place flat side agaist end of rail.
3.squeeze until joiner collapses
4.twist toward/against rail (like a fulcrum )
5. Remove joiner
http://s792.photobucket.com/user/NarrowmindedRR/media/20121110195709.mp4.html