News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

turnout short circuits

Started by ejseider, August 16, 2017, 01:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ejseider

I've got a DCC setup, using a Digitrax DCS-51 for control.  Whenever any of my engines gets onto a turnout track the DCS shows a short circuit (flashing  0 0 0 0 on the DCS display).  I've checked with my voltmeter and it shows normal voltage on the adjoining track (i.e. no loco problem track section) and the turnout track sections.  I've also disconnected the power and checked with my ohm meter for shorts, and found none.  Some of my turn-outs have powered frogs and some do not, but it doesn't seem to make any difference if they're powered or not.  Does anyone have any idea what's going on and how to fix it?

Hunt

The usual suspect is your track plan requires insulated rail gaps and they are missing. In other words, your track is not correctly wired.  Research the why and how to do DCC  reverse loop wiring.

Identify the brand and size turnouts in use.

RAM

I can see where you would have a short if you did not have a gap, but that would  short out as soon as you turned the power on.  does it short out either route that you have the turnout set for? What are the turnouts used for.  Are they for a passing side, a dead end siding,or going from one track to another?  See we don't know what your layout looks like.

indian_hills_r_r

I was having the same kind of problem on a couple switches. then I heard about a item called "frog juicer" it costs about $14 for each. I then cut a gap/gaps and wired as per the instructions. now I no longer have the problem. hope this helps. 

ejseider

dutchbuilder

I had the same sort of problem with a H0 PECO crossing on my 0n30 layout.
When investigating what was going on i found out that the wheels of my locomotive momentarily nicked the opposite rail on the crossing track.
It wasn't much but just enough to cause a short.

Ton

indian_hills_r_r

ejseider, I got them from "Tam Valley Depot. it is a mono DCC juicer. Follow the instructions and it will work great. Also
remember it CAN NOT be used on a DC layout.  hope this helps

ejseider

I think I see my problem.  I've got several turnouts with plastic frogs (Bachmann EZ Track turnouts), and a couple of short wheel base pick-ups (0-6-0 steam locos and diesel locos).  Id like to replace them with turnouts that have metal frogs, but when I go to Bachmann's online catalog, they don't tell you which have metal and which have plastic.  I'd like to be sure that I'm getting what I need before I order.  Also been looking for something that gives dimensions of turnouts so that I know that I'm getting ones that fit in place of the plastic frog turnouts.  Is there some way of knowing that I'm getting the right turnouts (metal frogs and correct dimensions)?

Hunt

E-Z Track turnouts are listed in the ONLINE/Web Store store. All Bachmann numbered turnouts (#4, #5 ,#6) have metal frog, which can be seen by clicking on Product Image then click on larger image.

None of the numbered turnouts match the geometry of a Remote Turnout (plastic frog). 

Terry Toenges

I understand that you want metal frogs as insurance again dead spots.
Having said that, many people have been using Bachmann's plastic frog turnouts with short wheel base locos for years and not having problems.
Would Bachmann continue to make turnouts that weren't compatible with their short wheelbase locos? Would Bachmann make short wheelbase locos that weren't compatible with their standard turnouts?
Some people buy starter sets with small locos and add turnouts.
Feel like a Mogul.

Riptrack

Also check that wheels are not coming into contact into adjoining rails of opposite current. This will cause shorting. Normal DC loco will run normal in these areas were DCC can be a bit finicky. A minimal short in DC or break in current will not stop most DC locos where it will stop a DCC loco dead on the tracks.😊
If someone comes up to you and says,..."Smile....Your On Candid Camera!!"......You just got punked at your model railroad club!!