Changing tender trucks on a Bachmann Spectrum 80106 tender

Started by magistral, September 14, 2017, 11:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magistral

I was intent on backdating my Baldwin 4-4-0 locomotive's tender to use the older arch bar trucks that came in the box along with the more modern trucks already installed.  It looked like a simple job – take out a little screw holding the truck in place, swap out the new truck (making sure the contacts are in their proper places) and put the screws back.  To my surprise, little things started rattling around inside the tender body and the mounting screw threads would not hold on to anything.

Does anybody know the way to do this without ruining the model?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

jonathan

magistral,

I don't have the 4-4-0, but on all my Bachmann steamers, the tender truck mounting screws have a nut, holding the screw, on the inside of the tender.

You will probably have to open up the tender and replace the loose nuts. Also, check for a wire that would have transferred current pick up to the electronics board. That was most likely connected to that screw as well.

If I am correct, you may also need a tiny drop of lock-tite to hold the nuts once they are replaced.

Regards,

Jonathan

magistral

Thank you for the first step instructions in changing tender trucks.  I got it apart, and found a very awkward bunch of little pieces and parts that I have trouble reassembling.  I see how it should go, where each part belongs; but I have fat finger fumble syndrome.  What is the trick to reassembling the little darling without losing any parts or my temper – short of sending it to a repair depot?

J3a-614

If you don't have them, you might want to get some tweezers and magnetized screwdrivers.  They help considerably in situations such as you describe.

Alternately, if you have something sticky but removable, such as certain rubbery cements, a little dab on the screwdriver or even on something like toothpick can help; the latter is used to pick up and hold the screw while you use the screwdrivers.

Yes, it would also help if you were an octopus!!  :D

jonathan

For fiddly bits, the most useful tool in my arsenal is the cross-hatch tweezer.  It holds tiny parts without any finger pressure required, so I can concentrate on lining things up.

The second most useful tool is magnifier lenses.  I use the 2X and 4X lenses that clip on to my prescription glasses. Can flip them up and down as needed.  And believe me... I need them!  :)

Regards,

Jonathan