Norfolk and Western J-Class 4-8-4 #611 in N-Scale

Started by railwayman001, September 21, 2017, 01:24:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

railwayman001

I have been the owner of a Bachmann N-scale replica of the Queen of Steam herself (Norfolk and Western J-class 4-8-4 #611) for almost two years now (I purchased it on the Saturday before Thanksgiving in 2015, the year the real engine was, thankfully, restored to working order for a second time in a little more than two decades), and I noticed something suspicious about the model just recently. I noticed that the part 00Q08, as the instruction manual for the model identifies the particular part as, seems to be a little offset from its counterpart on the locomotive's left side, which is part 00Q07, and no matter how hard I press against it (and I'm not trying to damage it; I'm only trying to see why it's offset) it will not align underneath the locomotive running board and side skirt. Being an adult (I'm 27 at the time I write this, and I was 25 when I purchased the model), I am always very careful when removing the model from its box and the plastic holder contained within the box for the purpose of holding the model. I want to be sure, therefore, that this is just how the model is made, because I know that the actual part in question on the real 611 is not offset like that. Otherwise, I am worried that this may be a manufacturing defect, because I have never dropped the model. I have always handled it correctly, and what's ironic is that I haven't even had the time to operate it yet. So I must know if this is just how the model is made or if this might have been a manufacturing defect. I would hate to have to purchase a duplicate model all because of this.   

spookshow

From what I can tell, those are plastic parts that press-fit into holes in the chassis. I don't know if they're supposed to be symmetrical with each other or not, but if they are maybe one of yours is bent?

-Mark

railwayman001

It's part 00Q08, which is in near the upper right corner in the center of the image you have. I don't know how it could have bent, but it doesn't look bent to me. It does appear, however, that the little press-fit units aren't pressing in, that the part has somehow become loose. I know that I had it in good condition back when I first got it, back when I was living in Decatur, and it may have been because I moved out to Smoke Rise. I had told the contractors to be careful with it, and that is what I think happened. I think that the moving contractors mishandled the box it was in (it was packed in its package as a security precaution), and that it somehow got out of position (if not out of shape) and I'm only now noticing it.   

spookshow

If one or both of the legs have popped out of their holes, it should be easy enough to push them back in. May require a mag-light and a decent set of tweezers. Just another day at the office when it comes to press-fit parts.

-Mrk

railwayman001

Yeah, but the problem is that N-scale is so small that it's almost impossible. I think I might just buy a new one, since I know Amazon's got a good looking deal on their site for just the actual locomotive (both the engine and tender, not the canteen). Even so, are there any other manufacturers that make better-quality N-scale models of the 611? I did read on the Amazon page that someone had a few bad experiences with three separate examples in which parts popped loose in spite of operating the locomotive correctly. And if not N-scale, are there good models in HO scale, the next-cheapest scale that I know models of the 611 are available in?

spookshow

Apart from a brass version made back in the 80's, Bachmann is the only game in town when it comes to a J in N scale.

railwayman001

Okay, I'll just buy a new one, and maybe (if I can afford it) a duplicate just to make sure this doesn't happen again. I did read a few reviews for the product's page on Amazon and the majority of them were negative.

ACY

Currently produced options in HO scale include
BLI $400 DCC & Sound
MTH $500 DCS & Sound
Bachmann $430 DCC & Sound
Often times you can get Bachmann models at a discount from retailers like MB Klein which has the Bachmann model on offer for only $250 which is nearly half off of the MSRP.
I personally have two Bachmann HO scale class J locomotives, one came with an auxiliary water tender, neither have sound. In my experience they run fine, but might be a bit lacking in pulling power so some extra lead weight goes a long way to improving performance. I don't have a BLI or MTH J so I can't comment on those specifically.

railwayman001

Okay, I did finally obtain a replacement model that's the same as I had, and I did so at the right time. The parts beneath the cab and smokebox on my original model fell off due to glue failure, and I worry this might happen to my new model, so I will ask: Are there any better-quality 611 models out there? I know they'll have to be in HO scale, like either the Broadway Limited or MTH models, or higher (like the MTH O scale model or the Accucraft G scale model; and yes, Accucraft does offer an electric version in addition to the live steam versions) since, as someone pointed out to me,  Bachmann is the only game in town when it comes to N scale models of the 611.

ACY

Quote from: railwayman001 on September 27, 2017, 12:42:04 AM
Are there any better-quality 611 models out there? I know they'll have to be in HO scale, like either the Broadway Limited or MTH models, or higher
In N scale you have Bachmann or Brass
For HO scale you have Bachmann, MTH, BLI or Brass
For O scale you have MTH, Lionel or Brass
Some of the brass manufacturers of J's include Max Gray, Sunset, Williams, Overland, Key Imports and GEM
Once you get larger than HO scale things get very expensive and larger than O scale is even more expensive yet
This is an example of an HO brass model

If you are looking for a currently or recently produced model that is not too scarce, as well as something not super expensive, that is pretty good quality then I would suggest sticking to HO scale and one of BLI, MTH or Bachmann.