News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

sound in a consolidation?

Started by bob kaplan, September 27, 2017, 10:24:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob kaplan

Bachmann's consolidations look nice.   I heard they run ok.   But sound is missing.   After being in the hobby in Large scale for a loooong time, I have had to switch scales.  How much work would it take to get a sound module in a recent Bachmann consolidation?
  Thanks.

jonathan

Bob,

Consolidations run great! as a rule.

The newer consolidations come with DCC on board. So it's simply a matter of pulling the plug on the old decoder and plugging in a DCC/Sound decoder, like a Tsunami. 

Also, the newer versions already have a speaker mount in the tender.  If memory serves, a 28mm (1") speaker fits.

You will probably have to solder an 8-prong plug to the decoder wires, and solder a speaker to the decoder output wires.

This should be a simple conversion, as conversions go...

Once in a great while, on eBay, one can still find "sound onboard" connies. 

Call me biased, but you are starting off with the best all around HO steamer. 

Regards,

Jonathan

Hunt

Click Here This will give you an idea of what is required. The decoder is discontinued.

Click Here search for Baldwin 2-8-0 Consolidation with inks to more information.

Hunt

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

Quote from: jonathan on September 27, 2017, 10:48:38 AM
Bob,

Consolidations run great! as a rule.

The newer consolidations come with DCC on board. So it's simply a matter of pulling the plug on the old decoder and plugging in a DCC/Sound decoder, like a Tsunami. 

Also, the newer versions already have a speaker mount in the tender.  If memory serves, a 28mm (1") speaker fits.

You will probably have to solder an 8-prong plug to the decoder wires, and solder a speaker to the decoder output wires.

This should be a simple conversion, as conversions go...

Once in a great while, on eBay, one can still find "sound onboard" connies. 

Call me biased, but you are starting off with the best all around HO steamer. 

Regards,

Jonathan

Actually, as far as the wiring goes. If he goes with a Tsunami or Tsunami2 decoder, he can get a wiring harness that already has an 8 pin plug attached and cut the shrink tubing back on the decoder just enough to remove the stock wiring harness and plug the new one (with the 8 pin plug already attached) into place. All the installation instructions can be found on the Soundtraxx website under the Manuals tab at the top of their web page.