News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Shelf Layouts

Started by Beach, September 29, 2017, 07:38:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beach

Does Bachman have any track plans for shelf layouts.  Currently building a 16" by 16' shelf layout in garage.  I am not very creative and would love to see see some track plans that might work for this size layout.

RAM

do a google search ho shelf layouts. 

the Bach-man

Dear Beach,
Since I got on Pinterest I get about 387,000 layout plans a day.
Some are really nice.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Terry Toenges

Once I get on Pinterest, I end up spending hours on there looking at others' layouts and track plans and train stuff in general.
Here's some from when I Googled shelf layouts. Now, I'll end up getting lost for another couple of hours while looking at layouts.
https://www.google.com/search?q=%22shelf+layouts%22&lr=&newwindow=1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjw2Nbvt83WAhUB4CYKHedaBT0Q_AUICigB&biw=1173&bih=555
Feel like a Mogul.

Piyer

Quote from: Terry Toenges on September 30, 2017, 01:27:29 PM
Once I get on Pinterest, I end up spending hours on there looking at others' layouts and track plans and train stuff in general.
Here's some from when I Googled shelf layouts. Now, I'll end up getting lost for another couple of hours while looking at layouts.
https://www.google.com/search?q=%22shelf+layouts%22&lr=&newwindow=1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjw2Nbvt83WAhUB4CYKHedaBT0Q_AUICigB&biw=1173&bih=555

*knocks on door* Terry???

Yes?

Are you feeling okay in there?

Um, yeah. Why?

Well, it's just that you clocked in at eight-forty-five, disappeared into the restroom, and you've been in there ever since...

And that's your concern why?

Because your wife called me at home an hour ago to say it was nearly midnight and you weren't home yet - you've been in there seventeen hours!  ;D
~AJ Kleipass~
Proto-freelance modeling the Tri-State System c.1942
The layout is based upon the operations of the Delaware Valley Railway,
the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern,
the Middletown & Unionville, and the New York, Ontario & Western.

Terry Toenges

;D  Layouts. Lot and lots of layouts.  247,000 Google results for "shelf layouts".  Only 196,000 to go ;D
Feel like a Mogul.

sarasdad

dutchbuilder

Have a look at other's layouts and  keep them in mind as a reference.
Write down on a piece of paper what you would like your layout to do and where it is situated.
Neven never land or in the real world, it doesn't matter.
It's your world.
I use the free version of Anyrail to doodle plans on my computer.
Sometimes just for fun to puzzle out a layout of a predefined size.
Gives me more satisfaction then just copying someone alse's creations.

Ton

Len

It's been around forever, but there are a lot of good ideas for shelf layouts in the "101 Track Plans" book.
https://www.amazon.com/Hundred-Track-Railroaders-Railroad-Handbook/dp/0890245126

You can even take pieces of the larger 'basement' layouts and put them together to make a shelf layout. That's what I did for my 'KL&B Eastern Lines RR Museum' layout back before there was layout software.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

charon

I second Len.
That is a great book, I have used mine for over 30 years.
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

Nathan

The one out of 101 Track Plans that I have built in two different scales is #8, Port Ogden & Northern.  I modified it both times.

In HO I built it in three eight foot sections for a total of twenty four feet.  I built it one foot by sixteen in N Scale with larger radius that worked great.

Take the time to read what Linn Westcott says about building model railroads, good advice.

Nathan

sarasdad

Check out shelflatouts web site Mr. Mindheim offers plans.