News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

C&S #22 DC Loco on EX Command Button #10

Started by palallin, September 30, 2017, 10:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

palallin

The EZ Command manual says this about running a DC loco on Button #10:
"NOTE: WHEN OPERATING A DC LOCOMOTIVE ON ADDRESS "10," BE SURE TO MONITOR IT CLOSELY. SOME
DC MOTORS ARE SUBJECT TO OVERHEATING AND DAMAGE WHEN OPERATING FOR LONG PERIODS OF
TIME ON DCC SYSTEMS."

I have tried for the first time to run my C&S 2-6-0 #22 (from a very early On30 set) using 10, and it will run, fairly smoothly, BUT the motor (I guess_) makes a high-pitched buzz/hum sound that sounds almost like a whistle.

Is this sound telling me that I should not run this DC loco using the EZ Command?

Thanks for any info!

dutchbuilder

No that is normal.
What you hear is the frequency of the dcc data stream.
That's why some motors go belly up.

Ton

Hunt

palallin,

What you are hearing is the motor vibration resulting from using a modified AC waveform to run a motor designed to be run using DC. It does shorten the time before failure of the motor.

Research "DCC zero bit stretching"   

palallin

Thanks, folks.

I think I will find a DC pack to piggyback onto the EZ Command per the instructions before running the Mogul much.

Hunt

Quote from: palallin on October 03, 2017, 11:17:44 PM
. . .
I think I will find a DC pack to piggyback onto the EZ Command per the instructions before running the Mogul much.

No help,  damage issue remains!

The DC power pack just gives you a separate unit to control the DC locomotive and opens up address 10 as a digital address.   The DC locomotive is still being powered by a modified AC waveform from the DCC E-Z Command Control Center not the DC voltage from the DC power pack.

palallin

Oh.  Thank you for that clarification;  I apparently misunderstood the manual on that point!

I guess I need to wire a regular DC pack into the power leads using a center-off switch to alternate between the DCC and the DC.  Shucks.  I thought this would be simpler.