News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Overton cars

Started by Terry Toenges, October 03, 2017, 12:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Toenges

What is the difference between an Overton passenger car and a Bachmann old time passenger car? The length? The way the clerestory is shaped?
I'm just curious because I don't know what makes an Overton an Overton.  Was Overton a person who designed them or a company or a place where they were made?
A Wikipedia search on "Overton" doesn't yield much useful except for the Texas connection.
Overton, Texas was meant to be crossroads for two railroads. In 1875, the Henderson and Overton Branch Railroad was built and was later joined by the International-Great Northern.
Feel like a Mogul.

Len

There is no such thing as an 'Overton' passenger car. It's a term coined by MDC 'back when' to describe their 34ft passenger cars that were based on the two 34ft cars built for the Sierra RR. It has become something of a generic term for "old time" passenger cars. The 50ft 'old time cars' are typically based on Pullman and Overland RR designs, and aren't 'Overton' cars either.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Terry Toenges

Thanks for enlightening me Len. It really got to bugging me after a while because I thought surely I would find a history somewhere.
Feel like a Mogul.