Fast Mail - New York Central Lines Matching Cars

Started by Tony B, October 04, 2017, 02:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony B

Hello to all,
I have a Big Hauler Fast Mail set and I would like to add a car or two.  It seems that most Big Hauler sets have four passenger cars available: baggage, combine, coach, and observation.  My set has the baggage and observation, was a matching combine or coach ever made?  I have seen #93364 - NYC Fast Mail Dispatch Boxcar, but I don't know how that would look.
Thank, Tony

Hunt

Click Here does this combine match? Note it is Out of Stock - Sold Out

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Tony,

The Fast Mail Set 90086 was a very classy set, and I can tell you that the combine in the picture is correct for your set. It is Bachmann product 97157.  the add on coach was 97257  They were sold as an add on item.

97157   NYC&HR   703   1998?   P Combine   The Fast Mail     NYC&HR   P         Battery Lights   $65.00

97257   NYC&HR   542   1998?   P-Coach   The Fast Mail     NYC&HR "Malacca"         Battery Lights   $55.00

The set was never in the catalog, and neither were the add on cars.   The set and the cars do come up on Ebay but in general are very rare.   I am not absolutely sure when the set was introduced but around 1996-1998.  one source even says 1995.  Same for the add on cars that is why the ? mark by the intro date.  In order for me to list an exact date in the historic database, I must have definite documentation, but right now I do not have it. Same problem with the add on cars production dates. I have always wondered why this set was never in the catalog.  

Maybe Wade Colyer has better info than I do, I have always wanted to get with him to see what he has on this set.  
If he doesn't see this I will get with him on it separately.

In the meantime Happy hunting.

Loco Bill

Almost forgot, In my opinion the Boxcar would not go well added to the set, it just looks to cheesy when compared to the classy passenger cars in the set.  I would be cool to have a second full baggage, which would be very appropriate in a mail train.

Have fun,

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Tony B

Thank you Hunt,
That combine is an exact match for the baggage!

Thank you Loco Bill,
I will keep an eye out for the combine and coach, and also a second baggage as you suggested.  I agree, it is a classy set that I have been trying to get for a couple years.  The version 3 chassis runs smoothly now, but I will have to upgrade before I add too many cars.  ;)
I am not the original owner of this set, but there is a an original Price Club Warehouse receipt dated 3 December 1995.  The set sold for $96.99.  I will try to send you a copy of the receipt tomorrow.

Tony

Loco Bill Canelos

Tony,

Good luck on your effort to find the add on cars, I would definitely set up a search on Ebay for them.

That receipt is exactly what I need for my documentation.  Please email a photo of it to my personal email sharronbillc@yahoo.com if you can.  I will be happy to pay for postage if all else fails.

I am very grateful for your offer, I have been looking for something like this for over 15 years.

Thanks so much,

Bill

Tony That receipt has actually been way more helpful than you may have thought.  In Past years Bachamnn has made special sets for large customers, like Boscov's Dept Stores, Sam,s Club, Bass Pro Shops, Orchard Supply Hardware and others.  they would make however many  the buyer wanted, but the minimum was 1200 sets.  They would also make the add on cars for the sets for the same customers.  These Items has the normal Bachmann Product numbers, but because they were fopr a special customer they were never in the Bachmann Catalog when first released if ever.  I am sure the sets were made for Price Club Warehouse as a limited edition.  Most likely 1200 to 2000 sets, but probably more like 1200.  Price Club Warehouse was started in California and later merged with  and became Costco.  That would also explain the under $100 price tag.  Sometime they made extra items to cover warranty repairs or other issues.   If not needed any extra sets or cars would be dumped at a special price to any retailer who wanted them just ot get rid of them which explains how Walthers got them to sell.   

Suffice to say your remains on the rare list as do the add on cars.  Eventually they do show up.  Adding on cars will put additional load on the version 3 chassis.  You may want to consider getting a version 5 replacement chassis to have on hand.   I keep two replacement version 5 chassis on hand for just that reason.

Wade Colyer

Hi All,

Price Club. That may answer a long time question I've had.  I got 3 sets back in the late 90's. The Fast Mail 90086, The Liberty Bell 90024 and the Blue Comet 90028, except the boxes all had the same set number instead of Bachmann's, 58616. I don't remember if they were on eBay or I got them from Trainworld, maybe at the York Pa. TCA show. I can't find the Fast Mail in my catalogs but I show 1996 as the date of the set and 1998 for the 97257.

Wade

Tony B

Hi Wade,

You answered a question I had.  I learned from Bill's set list that my set should have been #90086, but the box only identifies it as 58616 on the bar code.  The paper content list inside the box states that it is #90086.

Tony

Loco Bill Canelos

How about that Wade, Thanks to Tony we have solved another mystery.  We now know the set date is 1995 thanks to that Price Club receipt.  When Tony sends me a copy of the receipt, I will email you a copy.  I too have 1998 for the add on cars, but never found confirmation. 

Tony if you find add on cars with receipt in them please keep Wade and I informed as it would add to our Historical base.

Tony, Thanks again for the receipt info.  Made my day, and Happy hunting!

Bill

Loco Bill Canelos

Tony,

My modem is acting up, if you email me the receipt and I don't respond right away, that will be why.

Bill

Tony B

Bill and Wade,

The receipt was sent to both of you.

Thanks again for the information and the advice!

Tony

Loco Bill Canelos

Tony,

You are welcome.

I sent you a response to your email to me, and the receipt came thru fine.

Many thanks to you as well!!

Bill

Wade Colyer

Tony,

Thanks for the copy! You're probably the only person that could solve this puzzle. Thanks again!

Wade