bachmann g scale freight/passenger car kits

Started by hobo1, October 05, 2017, 03:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobo1

does bachmann have any plans on bringing back the freight/passenger car kits? I have bought them before and they were great

Loco Bill Canelos

Last I heard there are no plans to reintroduce the kits,  I loved them as well, and would not mind seeing them come out again.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Loco Bill Canelos

Top all readers looking for the kits, remember the first run had plastic wheels and the latest run had metal wheels. If buying on Ebay or by mail check first and get the ones below which had the metal wheels.

98911         2005   Box Car   Kit, Undecorated Reissue            metal wheels
98918   None   None   2005   Caboose   8 whl, Kit, Undecorated              metal wheels
98917   None   None   2005   Caboose4   4 whl, Kit, Undecorated  Brand New  2 in   box            metal wheels   2 flat roofs & 2 cupola roofs
98916   None   None   2005   Flat Car   Kit, Undecorated Brand New   2 in box   metal wheels
98915   None   N/A           2005     Gondola   Kit, Undecorated Brand New   metal wheels
98914         2005   Hopper   Kit, Undecorated Reissue 3 bay            metal wheels
98912   None   None   2005   Refrigerator   Kit, Undecorated Reissue            metal wheels
98913   None   None   2007   Tank Car   Kit, Undecorated Reissue            metal wheels

These are the only freight kits I know of with metal wheels, all others had plastic wheels

89491   None   None   2007   P-Coach   Kit metal wheels  metal railings   Track Power Lights
89494   None   None   2007   P-Obs   metal wheels,  metal railings           Track Power Lights

to my knowledge the above Passenger kit are the only ones reissued with metal wheels, they also had the metal handrails.   All the other passenger kits had battery power lights, plastic railings and plastic wheels.

I used them to custom decorate my Missouri Western RY and  Colorado & Kansas Ry cars.

Bill

Nathan

I enjoyed building them at train shows.  Even had q couple of young girls, 10 and 12, build flat cars at one train show.

A great way to get people interested in the hobby.

Nathan

Loco Bill Canelos

Those flat car kits at 2 cars per box with metal wheels were so low I bought three boxes just to get the trucks, metal wheels and couplers. It was way cheaper than trying to buy them separately. I also used some of them to make shorty logging flat cars, and one as a base for my scratchbuilt fire service flatcar for my Quivre River Lumber Company.
I used one of the decks to make a ramp to a loading dock.  One of the best deals ever!!
4 months later I decided to buy three more boxes and every dealer was sold out, and Bachmann had no more in the warehouse.  If they came back i would be in the market again.

Nathan we definitely need more young folks in the hobby.  I am mentoring one 12 year old boy right now who seems quite interested, I am trying to get him away from his electronics and phone even if just for a little while. 

Bill

JBSahnd

Bill,

I agree 100% about getting youth involved in G scale. I too bought some the kit flat cars. Great way to start out for someone 'new'.