News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Removal of Circuit Board

Started by russ daley, December 06, 2007, 08:12:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rich1998

Very good.
I have never found any issues with the circuit boards except when they get in the way of putting in a decoder and speaker like the 4-4-0 tender which is small.
I did add wipers so all the tender wheels have pick ups.

Rich

russ daley

I read several post on circuit board removal and headlight bulb/LED replacements but remain a bit confused on whether I need to add the 1K resistor when removing the circuit board and direct wire to decoder. The Engine is a Spectrum 4-6-0, probably purchased 2004-2007 time frame. To be honest....I couldn't tell you if the front headlight is a bulb or LED. The rear backup light looks like a bulb. The parts list really doesn't define. I do know that when I direct wired the light to a DC transformer I get the "dim" clear light same as in DCC and not the assumed LED green light I see on other engines. I can live with the dim light but I want to avoid burning out the existing light whatever it may be.

So questions are....I know what a resistor does but what exactly will the 1K resistor do in this circuit? Why a 1K? Do I need a resistor in my hard wiring regardless if the light is a bulb or LED? 

thanks,     

rich1998

Yes. The PC boards were labeled also in my steamers.

Rich

russ daley

Thanks Rich....Install in Blue Common correct?

russ daley

Never mind Rich...After some more research I think I got it down...thank you...next adventure is getting a double crossover to work...oh boy....

rich1998

Well 1k for LED's are normal and 28mm for speakers are normal at least for me.
I have done reverse loops and crossovers but never a double.
Good luck. It has been many years.
Time's fun when you are having flies. I will be eighty in April.

Rich

russ daley

Well Happy Coming Birthday.....I'm 66 and really don't get into the hobby until cold weather....had the best train season this year than I've had in many years...spent a great deal of time this year trying to get some engines to run, learning how...remembering...etc...

thanks for your contributions Rich....