News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

The Future of Bachmann Thomas

Started by Cheeky_ULP, October 14, 2017, 01:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

douglas

I just hope they get the rest of the original six NG engines done, which for all we know could be 2025 at this rate.

TrainFan97

I was silly to think Norman had a better chance in HO Scale than Daisy in another thread, all because he's shorter in length, but Norman barely did a thing since his debut, and he rarely speaks. Daisy has had plenty of starring roles in the CGI series, and she's a classic character. Turns out Daisy isn't too big, since she is definitely not the biggest diesel in the series. Her tooling shouldn't be that hard to make, since she is basically a box. Her eye mechanism can be connected by wires to a different motor that's still powered by electricity from the track. Her bogies could have one motor each, geared up to all her wheels.

Oliver was in demand for quite some time, and demand for him skyrocketed when Duck was announced. Bachmann eventually did make Oliver. Now, Daisy is currently the one with the most demand; being a classic character with a lot of recent CGI appearances, as well as a female character that appeals to both kids and adults.

I wouldn't mind getting Ryan or Sidney, but Daisy would make the absolute best seller.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

Chaz

Quote from: douglas on October 17, 2017, 01:32:12 PM
I just hope they get the rest of the original six NG engines done, which for all we know could be 2025 at this rate.

Bachmann typically announces one engine a year, but there have been occasions where they have skipped engines one year just to catch up on delayed models and would only announce rolling stock and buildings.  Fortunately we are halfway through the original six narrow gauge engines so I would give them at least another four years or so to get them out.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

AJW98Productions

I don't think I can add much to the discussion of upcoming models, so I'll try to keep my thoughts brief:
Sidney: I'm honestly fairly indifferent to the idea of Bachmann releasing him. I wouldn't be bothered if they did, but I wouldn't really mind if they didn't.

Ryan: honestly, Ryan has been one of my favourite characters from the CGI era. I've recently been watching a few more recent episodes that I've missed out on. Whilst I went out of SLOTLT feeling like Ryan wouldn't be seen much after that point and seemed like a "merchandise release", however, I was really glad about his character expansion - I enjoyed him as a character and despite the fact that I still find the Purple GNR livery...questionable, it has grown on me, and I would still want to purchase a model if Bachmann were to release him.

Daisy: I feel like I'm a little in the minority here, as whilst I still would prefer Daisy to Ryan, I can't say that there's that large of a gap between them. With how much people have already talked about Daisy here, I don't think I really need to address her major selling points, I'll only be rehashing points from other people if I go over her. Ideally it would be nice to have both engines that run the Harwick Branch Line in the range, but I understand that can't be performed immediately.

As for Narrow Gauge, I'd like to see Peter Sam, and a Brown Brakevan as the next releases into the range, ideally. However, I'll leave those two for another post.

I don't think I can add much to the Large Scale discussion, it's not a range I collect, I would say though, I would like to see Mavis or Edward as the next engines released...but I don't see either of them happening - especially Edward, unfortunately. I do feel like the Red Coaches would be a good option for the next rolling stock they release into that range. But since I don't collect the range, my opinion can probably be taken with a grain of salt.

Anyway, those were just some of my thoughts for the future, I look forward to hearing more thoughts from other people in the future :)

~Alex

SilviaGunner

I don't think I can add much to the Large Scale discussion, it's not a range I collect, I would say though, I would like to see Mavis or Edward as the next engines released...but I don't see either of them happening - especially Edward, unfortunately. I do feel like the Red Coaches would be a good option for the next rolling stock they release into that range. But since I don't collect the range, my opinion can probably be taken with a grain of salt.

If you ask me, Bachmann should just discontinue their TTTE Large Scale range.

JLK2707

I agree. Bachmann should just discontinue their thomas and friends large scale range before it is too late.

Falcon

Quote from: AJW98Productions on November 05, 2017, 12:30:57 AM

I really hope they can make Mavis before the range is discontinued. She could easily re-use Toby's chassis and a Large Scale model of Mavis could give her a solid re-introduction in the current Thomas merchandise market. Mavis hasn't had any new merchandise in years...

I can also strongly agree on the note of Edward. As much as I'd like to see him added, James and Emily might go down as the only tender engines made in the range. I can see brand-new merchandise for Edward and Henry slowing down rapidly in the coming months. Part of me wants to buy a spare Wooden Railway Henry before he's off store shelves...  :-\

douglas

Quote from: Falcon on November 05, 2017, 07:04:42 PMI can see brand-new merchandise for Edward and Henry slowing down rapidly in the coming months. Part of me wants to buy a spare Wooden Railway Henry before he's off store shelves...  :-\

This is why I haven't waited for Black Friday and beyond to finish collecting the original "Steam Team" in HO. Using Amazon as the "standard" for low prices, I was able to get Edward for pretty cheap (around $55.) Henry was a tough find, though, and the lowest price I found was around $70. On Amazon he's at $84 right now, and Edward's at $79. If you're looking for them in HO, I'd pick them up quick, lest they sell out before the Black Friday madness.

TrainandRockmusicfan97

And hopefully, Bill and Ben will be released in the Large Scale range someday as well.....

Falcon

I have a generally low budget with buying HO Scale models, but I really hope I can get Edward and Henry someday. Both of them have been pretty popular models and they've been on sale for a very long time, so I should have the chance to get both them for a while. I'm lucky enough to have a nearby train shop that has Henry, but sadly no Edward.

Bill and Ben have been getting popular with Large Scale fans, so they might be able to come as well! :)

TrainandRockmusicfan97

Since Bill and Ben have becoming pretty popular with Large Scale fans, I bet you they're gonna be the next Large Scale engines after Diesel. After all, they would be better sellers than 'Arry and Bert.

Falcon

Even I'd be tempted to get Bill and Ben if they're released.

Chaz

Quote from: SilviaGunner on November 05, 2017, 04:17:27 PM

Quote from: JLK2707 on November 05, 2017, 05:19:10 PM
I agree. Bachmann should just discontinue their thomas and friends large scale range before it is too late.

Yes, the large scale market is struggling, but to discontinue the entire range is a bit of a drastic move.  The worst I could see in the range is not announcing anything new but continue to make the same products since they are still making profit in the range.  I have a feeling when the Diesel model will released it will receive a lot of attention from large scale collectors like how Emily and Toby did.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Plow_Bender

Quote from: SilviaGunner on November 05, 2017, 04:17:27 PM

Quote from: JLK2707 on November 05, 2017, 05:19:10 PM

And if brains were gasoline, most people who think that way couldn't run an ants go-kart 2 laps around a Cheerio...

Lets be realistic here.  The large scale market isn't what it used to be, but there is no way Bachmann would be foolish enough to just discontinue the range completely.  After all this is large scale Thomas & Friends rather than O gauge Chuggington. ;)  I can honestly agree with Chaz that in a worst case scenario, Bachmann would stop introducing new models into the range, but continue to produce existing ones.  Personally I'm leaning more towards Bachmann trying to push new recolors each year as much as they can, but that's just me making a prediction based on what's been introduced into the range within the last 2-3 years.

As a collector of large scale trains, I tend to keep up with a lot of the discussion that goes on with large scale products, especially Bachmann.  Yes announcements haven't been the best and chances of certain characters being made are nil, but that's kind of the price Bachmann has to pay when they have a limited amount of leeway from Mattel and enough costs in production to pay off the national debt.  There's no doubt that the large scale Thomas & Friends range will stay around, but announcements are/and probably will continue to be a little underwhelming.  Either way its best to just sit back and appreciate what little Bachmann can offer to the range, rather than whine and complain about what they can't.

-Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."

TrainFan97

I highly doubt HO Scale Edward and Henry will get discontinued, since their sales are still strong. Bachmann discontinues products that don't sell, like Salty.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.