News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Re-connection of tender to 0-6-0

Started by kirke, October 15, 2017, 07:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kirke

I had ordered a new Bachmann 0-6-0 and tender, (AT&SF) and it arrived in one piece, very well wrapped. Being 78 years of age and having the usual fumble moment, I dropped it out of the plastic bag onto a tile floor. Damage is really minimal, but...two copper pieces were found, identical, and appear from photographs to be at the rear of the loco motor, and, what ever coupled the tender to the loco, a small tab, (?) broke off. Question then is. Is this a grounding coupler/drawbar, and suggestions to make a new tab to connect through the split end of the drawbar, please,....also the tenders rear coupler came loose, with a small black snap on cover (?) and a spring, both missing. The connection to the drawbar is the major question, and the placement of the two copper "bats" that I found on the floor (are they part of a "contact" ?

brokemoto

The drawbar on this one is, in fact, part of the electrical pick up.  In fact, the thing will run very poorly (if at all) without it.  From your description, it is hard to tell what was damaged, but from what I gather, the following happened:

1.  The split contact tab at the back of the locomotive, under the cab broke.  I am not sure from your description if both pieces broke, or just one, but it seems more likely that both broke.

2.  There is some damage to the drawbar.  From what you posted, I am gleaning that the end of the drawbar broke, but I am not sure where it broke.

The only remedy for this would be to fashion a plastic pin and work it into the frame somehow.  You would then need to fashion a new drawbar, likely out of plastic.  Finally, you would have to hardwire the tender to the locomotive. 

If you are going to do the last, you are better off swapping out the factory tender for either of two B-mann SPECTRUM tenders:  the slope back or USRA short.  The latter is actually the correct tender for this locomotive.  The advantage of the SPECTRUM tenders is that they are all wheels live and have needlepoint axle pick up, which allows them to roll smoother thus markedly reducing the drag on the locomotive that the front truck on the stock tender creates.  Further, the SPECTRUM tender has a drawbar, the design of which might make it simpler to hardwire the tender to the locomotive.  Finally, you might have to do some surgery to the tender and flip over the drawbar, despite your making repairs. 

As you can see, you have your work cut out for you.  It can be saved, you simply must do some work to it.  This assumes, of course, that the drivers have not been knocked out of quarter or the rods have not been damaged from the locomotive's being dropped.

I might have a factory drawbar somewhere.  I might even have a front truck or even the  whole tender somewhere.  Send me a PM if that will help you.  Your major problem does appear to be the damage to the split contact pin on the back underside of the locomotive, though. 

kewatin

kirke, you could help by identifying the parts u  need ,by going to home page and click on order parts,then click on N scale box and photos of locos come up,click on 0-6-0 and follow the photos of parts that you can match up with what you need
and maybe someone on the forum might have what you need in their scrap box.i do see they are out of stock ,but at least you can see what is damaged and what is not. i too am an old timer at 77 and my vision at times gets me frustrated but i have gained so much out of this hobby  & the sharing &willingness of fellow board members to help one another is why i
play with trains. i wish you well in fixing your loco.
regards&later KEWATIN

James in FL

You would increase the performance of that little lokie 10x+ if you would just add a Spectrum all wheels live tender.
The difference is amazing.
Worth every penny.

James in FL

Those two "copper bats" are the pick-ups from each side of the forward truck.
Look here;
http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_70_115&products_id=5281

And here;
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/references.php

Scroll down about ¾ way, and click on;
N USRA 0-6-0 SWITCHER & TENDER

It shows you how they fit.

Good luck