News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Question on the C-19

Started by Plow_Bender, October 06, 2017, 12:00:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plow_Bender

Hey everyone,
Just took a big leap recently and bought myself the Bachmann 1:20.3 2-8-0 C-19.  This is the first time I've gotten a model of this quality and I'm very much new to this sort of thing.  To be honest, I'm actually quite fearful of something happening to this model, and want to do everything I can to keep it looking great and running well on my garden railroad for years to come.  However, I've got a few questions in relation to some recent issues I've had after receiving the model yesterday.

My first question is, does the C-19 come with sound from the factory, and can this feature be used on DC?  When I first ran the model on my garden railroad, I was expecting to hear at least the chuffing sound, but the model didn't make any noise.  I looked for a switch or volume knob, but found nothing.  There is a speaker mounted in the tender and sensors in the cylinders for the steam chuffs, so somewhere there should be sound I think.  What gives?

According to the manual, the model also comes with the option to choose either DCC or DC operation of the smoke unit, cab lights, realistic firebox flicker and ash pan glow, and classification lights.  All these features work except for the ash pan glow.  I've looked around under the model, but I cannot see this feature working.  The firebox flicker is working just as it should, but not the ash pan glow.  I'm honestly wondering if there's a bad LED somewhere or if this model possibly doesn't even have the ash pan glow as the manual says?

I guess the last thing I want to ask about is disconnecting the locomotive from the tender.  Because the unit is too heavy to move all together, I've had to unplug the wires from the tender and carry the locomotive and tender separately.  My main worry is that overtime, plugging and unplugging the wires leading to the tender may cause damage to the wires or the connectors.  Is this really something I should be worried about, or is it just a matter of taking care and everything should be alright?

I apologize if I sound a little overly concerned, but as I said before this is my first model of this kind of quality (more used to the Bachmann Big Haulers), and I really don't want to do anything or have anything that might damage or hinder the performance of this unit.  If anyone can answer these questions, I'd very much appreciate it.

-Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."

Hunt

No factory sound.  Sound is an add on  As noted a speaker with wires is factory installed - 3" round  8 ohm  1 watt
Replaced the speaker if it is not compatible with the sound system's amplifier you add.

No ash pan glow. Study wiring diagram click Here

Do not unplug by pulling on wires. Grip the connector

Follow the Instructions for Care and Maintenance video Click Here

Kevin Strong

Congrats on the new loco. The C-19 is (in my opinion) one of the best locos in all of large scale.

With respect to the wires, you can reinforce the connectors by running a bead of hot glue along the back of each plug to reduce the stress on the wires in the connectors.

Later,

K

Greg Elmassian

Lube the connectors with a little silicone dielectric grease... that will make it less likely to pull the wires out.

Do what Kevin suggested first.

Can't tell you the number of people who have damaged this connector.

connect the wires before you connect the drawbar, and hook up the longest wire first.

Greg
Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com

Plow_Bender

Thanks for the replies.  I took Kevin's advice and applied a bead of hot glue along the back of the connectors and also did what Greg said and applied some grease.  I'm quite happy with the results and am more confident about plugging and unplugging the connectors now.  The best part about it is that the reinforcing on the connectors isn't visible and doesn't take away from the overall impressive look of the model.  I'm really pleased with the results.

Quote from: Kevin Strong on October 06, 2017, 11:45:16 AM
Congrats on the new loco. The C-19 is (in my opinion) one of the best locos in all of large scale.

The C-19 is definitely my new favorite in my collection.  For years I've been running either Bachmann Thomas & Friends or Big Haulers, but only recently stepped into the Spectrum line with the Rail Truck and 2-6-0 Industrial Mogul.  I was completely blown away when I first took the C-19 out of the box and couldn't wait to get it on the tracks.  Sadly I've still not had much opportunity to run it because the weather here has been kind of wet and cold lately.  Soon as I finish paying for the C-19, I do have plans on getting myself a Bachmann 1:20.3 Two-Truck Climax as well.

-Rusty

Hunt

Rusty,
Hopefully you applied a little silicon dielectric grease. Not just any type grease should be used. 

Hunt

Quote from: Hunt on October 07, 2017, 09:29:03 PM
Rusty,
Hopefully you applied a little silicon silicone dielectric grease. Not just any type grease should be used.

. . .  a little meaning small amount of silicone dielectric grease. Not just any type of grease should be used.

Plow_Bender

Yes, I did exactly what Greg said.

-Rusty

Greg Elmassian

Actually you could use gobs of dielectric grease and it would not interfere with the electricity, but there's no need but for just enough to lubricate it.

Greg
Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com

davidinno

I was so worried about destroying the wire connections on my K-27 that I designed and built a carrying case that allowed me to keep the engine and tender joined all the time.  I cut grooves in the underside of the case so it fits onto a couple of feet of straight track, and I push the engine down a short ramp (double-grooved top and bottom) right onto the track.  The upper part of the case splits open like a clamshell, so I can put the whole thing on the dining room table and open it up in order to worship it. :D

Plow_Bender

Quote from: davidinno on October 12, 2017, 09:14:45 PM
I was so worried about destroying the wire connections on my K-27 that I designed and built a carrying case that allowed me to keep the engine and tender joined all the time.

One of the problems you have is that the K-27 has been discontinued.  Chances of getting a new one (at a low cost even) are slim to none, and even replacement parts for the model aren't going to be around forever.  That's my biggest fear when it comes to my C-19.  Considering Bachmann has been discontinuing a lot of their Spectrum models, I feel it's only a matter of time till the C-19 gets added to the list as well.  Yes a $75+ service charge isn't as bad as replacing the whole unit, but what happens when Bachmann can't even replace broken or damaged parts?

Because I have such a great fear of the model getting damaged, I try to be very particular with how its handled and ran.  Purchasing the C-19 was definitely a big step for me as it's the first model that really brought me into the Spectrum line of Bachmann large scale products.  I don't usually talk price on here, but I only paid $600 for the unit delivered to my door, and I don't think I'll ever find another deal like that again.  I want to try and keep the unit looking and running just as it did the day I got it.  Who knows, maybe someday I'll want to pass my large scale collection down to the next generation.

-Rusty