News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Can I use Marklin C track with Bachmann Loco

Started by kingmarco, October 16, 2017, 09:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingmarco

Hi, I have a little problem with the Ez-Track Radius 18", because the radio is too big for my space and I dont want work with N Scale.
Searching I found the Marklin C Track and K Track with smaller radius, but I dont know if the Bachmann Locos will run correctly, even if I make the modification for the correct join between the tracks and the connection to the controller.
Any experience that can help me ?

Thank You ???

ACY

You would not be able to to use either because both Marklin track types only support 3 rail operation. Bachmann North America products only work with 2 rail track. I would suggest that you solve your problem by purchasing flex track from a North American supplier that makes standard 2 rail track. Keep in mind that many Bachmann locomotives require at least a 22" radius or greater and most require a 18" radius, and even if they do not require 18" radius running on 15" radius is often asking for trouble. You will for sure be limited to cars 40' and shorter and you will probably want to stick to 4 axle diesels or an 0-4-0T or something to that effect for operating on sharper radius track.

Whatever you do, do not attempt to use any Marklin or other 3 rail track as it will immediately ruin your locomotive by applying power.
If you want to run 3 rail in HO stick to Marklin/Trix and MTH and a few others make special 3 rail versions.

Len

Using Marklin 3-rail track will not ruin a 2-rail loco. Power just never gets to the loco. The outside rails of Marklin track are tied together and connect to one side of the power supply. The center rail/pegs connect to the other. Since there is no center rail pick-up on a 2-rail loco, no power gets to it. It just sits there.

Conversely, since the wheels  tied together and not insulated from each other, putting a 3-rail loco on 2-rail track will short out the power supply.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.